Predictions for coming days..

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mmmdreg, May 11, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Start posting predictions and specs for what you think is going to happen...theres definitely stuff happening so post away..

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Rack Mount Server (Promissed so this WILL happen on the 14th)

Possibly slightly updated iBooks but I don't think this is alllll that likely, if they do I bet on G5s at MWNY.

Ensign

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

g4 apollo has life left in it...it's in the latest macworld on page 20

4. ear2ear macrumors member

Of course the G4 still has life in it

Much as the G3 still had life in it back September of 1999. The G4 is set to serve as the backbone of the imac, ibook, and emac for the next 3 years or so. If the G4 had reached its limits, how could they update the these machines. There is a forseeable limit, but Apple probably feels that it is within their planned development for the consumer line.

But the pro line needs something new just like the consumer line has, or will, see.

Just my $0.02. (Only as a write this am I starting to think the G5 will rear its head this year.)

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i would like to see g5 this year, but after reading the article, which is speculation anyway, i think the new architecture of a lower voltage g4 will come out in faster speeds for the pro line

if g5 comes out this year, i will be very happy

god know we need the g5 soon

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

As much as I would like the G5 to come out, there is much life left in the G4! Everybody says what a slow chip it is (compared to the current P4's). However, I really believe that if you add a 533mhz Bus, RDRAM + speed up the rest of the computer components to what they should be then we will have a system that will easily match the fastest PC!!!

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am all for upping the bus speed

what happened to rambus though? i would still be happy with DDR

hey, falleron, great avatar!

8. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Cheers jefhatfield, a couple of people have said they liked it! Its a suprise to me because it only took me 2mins to create it (used illustrator)!!

9. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

Well I personally think the g5 will not be the next thing out. The apollo has a lot more speed in it so they can work on that. Some of my apple sources(2 outa3) are saying that ibm and another processor maker are planing to make a bid for mas production and r&d for a up-and-comming apple processor. One said it (processor) will use the copper technology derived from the g3 and altvec. This seems like credible news since apple has been recently fed up with motorolla's r&d on the g4 and g5 chips, so it seems the ibm is trying to capitolize on the problem. I would like to see apple use a faster processor either ibm or motorolla in a .13m building process by the end of the year. right now apple is using a .18m building process while pentium and amd are using .13m and are going to a .10m by the end of the year(it is hard to compare the two because apple runs a risc processor and i think intel runs a cisc processor.).

-THE BLaCk HoLeS- , Gabe.

10. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Why would apple want to max out the G4 for their pro machines if they are going to use it in the consumer machines? If they max it out then they really don't have anything for consumers to get excited about. After all they would know exactly what speeds are possible and would naturally want the best. I think it would be better for apple to leave something left in the G4 and upgrade the consumer line over time.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Now that's an interesting thought. Show the consumers that there is more life in the current iMacs and move the pro line to something else. Hmm, they did that before with the G3 systems before.

I'd really like to see it happen, we can but hope. I don't think they could roll out the Rack Servers with a new CPU without having other new machines as well, could they?

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

here are my predictions for the short term:
    firstly, new iBooks (in the next week?)- 16MB video card, some new ports? a higher resolution?
    secondly, G4 servers (May 14)- i have no idea of the specs of these.
    thirdly, PowerMacs (MWNY)- well, the specs have already been posted on the Macrumors main page.

looks like the only thing that is really not comfirmed is the new iBooks and the G4 server specs.

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I'm guessing dual G4 rackmacs @ 1.2 GHz, but nothing other than that.

14. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I really hope Apple would not do the shakedown on a new processor in a SERVER.. that seems like a good way to shoot one's own foot off.. so the servers will use the same chips that we've already seen (though it might use more of them.. we can only hope) Although a speed bumped CPU is certainly a possibility, as Beej suggests. Definitely no G5 in a server. (Or anything else, is my guess)

As an aside:

Beej, the physics are wrong on your avatar... the smoke should come out of the cigarette when the end is dim, not bright.. the end lights up when you inhale.. ie, when the smoke is being drawn out the other end. The smoke only rises from the lit end when you aren't inhaling (and the end therefor is dim)

15. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

I had a dream....

last night about G5's @ 1.5-2.0 ghz, 512+ MB DDR, 533Mhz system bus, and a bunch of L3 cache (i think) it kicked the athlon's ass :D

16. ear2ear macrumors member

I'm really hoping for G4s in the iBook as I'd like to buy one in August but I've been dissapointed in the OS X performance on my girlfriend's 600mhz CRT iMac.

If this doesn't happen, I'm just hoping Jaguar will make things snappier on the G3 front as well (and her iMac will be the test unit).

I actually don't care too much about the G5 since my Professional machince is a 450mhz B&W that runs ProTools just fine and reliably for my needs (in 9.1).

17. Paolo macrumors regular

G5's

I reckon that the g5s might make an appearance soon, as everyone is talking about apple beginning to be outdated. So Apple must have something up there sleeve.
    Maybe some updates on the i range. (maybe not ipod).

18. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Oh yeah, thanks dude. I'll fix that for the next one. I feel really dumb now... such an obvious error. Oh well, I'll live. :)