Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
Here are my predictions for Macworld NewYork

G4 Tower
1.2. ghz
faster system bus somewhere in the neighbor hood of 266mhz
ddr ram
bluetooth

Powerbooks ( I don't think that we will see them till NewYork)
800mhz to 933mhz
faster system bus somewhere in the neighbor hood of 266mhz
ddr ram
bluetooth
64mb graphics card
better battery
higher screen resolution

iMac g4
no updates

iMac classic
speed bumps to 700mhz g3

iBook
speed bumps to 700mhz g3
with a combo drive (maybe)
I really doubt that we will see a bigger screen.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Personally I think its a bit early for predictions (we need to get WWDC out of the way first!

I doubt will see combo drives in the iBook due to the fact we already have them and we have also already got the larger screen.

I would expect to see 700 G3 iMacs because we have had them before and I just think we will see them again.

I hope we get G4 iMac updates! (1ghz all the way, please?)

Ensign

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'd like to see faster towers (even faster then the 1.2GHz, how about 1.4+?) as well as PowerBooks with a healthy speed bump. If the towers get the extra umpf in speed, they could really sell the PowerBooks at up to 1GHz. How many of us would go even deeper into debt to get one of those??? Count me as one of them.

DDR should be either inside systems, or at least announced as coming in x months.

How about the bluetooth as an BTO option??? I have 0 need/use for it currently, just like a modem in a tower.

Give us either the option/ability to get more screen resolution on the PowerBooks, and/or a screen size increase. With the peecee laptops coming out at 16" (a couple a little larger??) we should get a bump to 16.2" to 16.5" maybe even 17" but still maintain the same proportions. I wouldn't mind getting a new bag to carry my über TiBook, if I could get the peecee laptop buttheads to shut up again with a larger screen. :D

Keep it at the 1" form factor though, and PLEASE hard chrome that puppy. :D

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
Sorry!

Switch my predictions on the imac classic and the ibook
I mean for the imac classic to get a combo drive
The iBook will get a speed bump to 700mhz

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Personally I think its a bit early for predictions (we need to get WWDC out of the way first!

I've been saying this for over a week! Besides, you haven't even considered the rumors on the new TiPB coming out on the 30th of April. I can't see a another update in MWNY that would have a mobo redesign (for the system bus and ddr ram), it would be too soon.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
what is coming

Here is what is coming.

April 30th....
New TiBook's. 867 and 700 MHZ G4's. DDR in the 867 and PC 133 in the 700's. Combo drives standard, and superdrives an option in the 867 through BTO. 40 gig standardard in 867, and 60 gig optional 30 in the 700's. Screen resolution will increase, although the size will remain the same. NO BUILT IN BLUETOOTH! Everyone is talking about that, but it won't happen.

WWDC....
X.2 preview, with a launch date for NY. News on QT6. No hardware will be released.

MWNY...
New G4's.
1, 1.2 and 1.4 GHZ.
1 GHZ pc 133. 1.2 and 1.4 DDR at 266MHZ.
256, 512, and 768megs
1 GHZ supports 1.5 GB and the 1.2 and 1.4 support 4 gigs
Rapid I/O
Built-in Bluetooth controler.
60, 80, and 120GB drives.
Combo drive, super and super. Super an option on the entry system.
ATI Radeon 8500 on 1ghz, and GeForce 4 Ti on high ends

New digital device
Not a camera though.

iMac...
No changes

iBook...
750 and 850 MHZ G3's.
20 and 30 Gig HD
256 and 256 exp to 640 MB
CDRW and Combo drives. CD option only for education models.
12.1 and 14.1 obviously

iPhoto 1.1 or 2.0 call it what you want.

iMovie 3 ? possible, but maybe later.

X.2 and all of the normal stats and hubub.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Backtothemac, pretty good predictions. Now we get to wait and see who's comes closest to being true. :D

I'm still rooting for a GHz PowerBook though. :D

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Backtothemac...pretty detailed and possible predictions there...but I can't really see Apple putting different types of RAM in different models of the same series...and weren't people saying the superdrive won't fit in a TiBook without whole new dimensions which will probably result in a whole new case design, if so, maybe making the PowerBook a TiBook no more...

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by mmmdreg
Backtothemac...pretty detailed and possible predictions there...but I can't really see Apple putting different types of RAM in different models of the same series...and weren't people saying the superdrive won't fit in a TiBook without whole new dimensions which will probably result in a whole new case design, if so, maybe making the PowerBook a TiBook no more...

Well, I agree that Apple has really never had two differnet types of Ram in one series before. But they have had two different logic boards before. Look at the new iBooks. One is 66 MHZ and the other is 100 MHZ. It is the same situation with the new G4's. One is the current standard, and the other is the future.

Also,
Prices on the 1 GHZ will be 1 either 1449 or 1499.
1.2 will be 2399
1.4 will be 3099

As for the TiBook.... Don't believe the hype ;) IE: They can do anything they want to with the CURRENT case design.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'd like to see towers faster than 1.2GHz, and i also think that the new TiBooks will be out on the 30th of April. at least we don't have to wait for them, even though it is only a small speed increase.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Expect this....

PowerMac G4:

1067MHz, DDR Ram, 60GB HD, Rapid I/O
Dual 1200MHz, DDR Ram, 2x80GB HD, Rapid I/O
1400MHz, DDR Ram, 100-12GB HD, Rapid I/o

PowerBook G4:

867MHz, DDR Ram, 30GB HD, Combo
1000MHZ, DDR Ram, 60GB HD, Combo
New 32MB DDR Graphics

iBook:

600MHz G3, 20GB HD, Combo
700MHz G3, 30GB HD, Combo
New 16MB DDR Graphics
Optional 14in Screen

iMac:

No new updates

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: what is coming

Originally posted by Backtothemac
Here is what is coming.

April 30th....
New TiBook's. 867 and 700 MHZ G4's. DDR in the 867 and PC 133 in the 700's. Combo drives standard, and superdrives an option in the 867 through BTO. 40 gig standardard in 867, and 60 gig optional 30 in the 700's. Screen resolution will increase, although the size will remain the same. NO BUILT IN BLUETOOTH! Everyone is talking about that, but it won't happen.

Which chip does motorola make that supports DDR and maxes out at 867MHz? None that I know of (and I've done quite a bit of research on it). However, there is one that uses very little power, maxes out at 800MHz, and doesn't have DDR. I think that's more likely.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: what is coming

Originally posted by Catfish_Man

Which chip does motorola make that supports DDR and maxes out at 867MHz? None that I know of (and I've done quite a bit of research on it). However, there is one that uses very little power, maxes out at 800MHz, and doesn't have DDR. I think that's more likely.

Maybe the reason we haven't seen any huge speed increases on the G4 (from one release to the next), is because they are creating chips that will be able to use DDR RAM. Wouldn't that be great??? They could even brag about it... 'yes, we haven't been increasing the speeds of the G4 processors lately. But, as you now see, we have been dedicating more resources to getting the new G4's at 1.07, 1.2 and 1.4 GHz with full support of up to 3GB of DDR RAM (PC3300)' That would be good way for motorola to start getting back into the Mac faithful's good graces. The only real way for people to stop b*tching about motorola (not without reason) is for them to get off their thumbs and put out the G5 processors (at over 1.4GHz). :D

My very unscientific theories

If the past is a pattern to be followed...

MT (low-end):

933MHz G4
60GB HD
Superdrive (optional)
256MB 133MHz SD-RAM
Radeon 7500
IEEE1394b
OS X 10.2

MT (mid-range):

1GHz G4
80GH HD
Superdrive (standard)
512MB DDR-RAM (maybe maybe maybe)
Geforce4 MX
IEEE1394b
OS X 10.2

MT (high-end):

Dual 1.2GHz G4
80GB HD
Superdrive (gotta think that by July there'll be an upgraded version, either being faster or supporting higher-capacity DVDs, and it might only see the high end of Apple's line)
512MB DDR-RAM (again, maybe 3x)
Geforce4 MX
IEEE1394b
OS X 10.2

iMac: Possibly some incremental improvements, like 100MHz clock speed increases, IEEE1394b in the highest end model, 40-60GB HDs in the line, GF4 MXs, maybe even a new color scheme (although I highly doubt this).

Tibook: No upgrades (I expect it to be upgraded sooner, but not by anything that comes anywhere near Dell's new 1.8GHz P4 laptop).

iBook: Same as above, upgrades being made sometime this spring.

Overall, if I am right, nothing terribly exciting. I do expect to eventually see serious architectural improvements, but not necessarily this summer.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
good call Kethoticus, i think you've made some good predictions but i seriously think the superdrive needs an upgrade. its not that super anymore. having it burn cds and dvds at twice the current speed would be nice and possibly supporting up to DVD-10.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
Here is why...

I made the prediction that we won't see the Powerbook till mwny because I think that the next revision will support ddr ram and I don't think that they will let the powerbook support ddr ram before the powermac.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I predict an annoucement that the G3 and G4 are being retired followed by an annoucement that the G5 will be in all the iMacs and iBooks and the NEW G6 will be in the pro lineups. Speeds will be ridiculous. Shortly thereafter, Bill Gates will come out and do the keynote as he is the new owner of Apple (in the spirit of M$'s love of competition).

:D

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the next tiBook be an intermediate machine, introducing some of the next "all new powerbook" features while still using the currently possible processors, ie: 800mhz G4. This would be a decent stopgap and a very robust machine, but ultimately would be laying the groundwork for an all new G5 based killer laptop sometime in the winter of '03.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I certainly don't want an intermediate machine.

When you haven't seen someone for a while, and they have changed, you really notice those changes. On the other hand, if you live with someone, they could slowly turn into Yoda, and you probably wouldn't notice.

This slow changing and morphing into something else is fine for the slow evolution of a model, but I think the TiBook is ready for something more major than that. The iMac is fresh, the iBook is still pretty fresh (especially since it has the 14" now), but the TiBook and the tower are getting rather stale and in need of something.

Sure, they are fine machines, and I'd be happy if they were made better, but I'd be even happier if they were really overhauled and made into something "NEW."

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
mcrain, over a year and only minor revisions to show for it kind of blows. More speed, better video card, screen resolutions.... and chrome finish are high on the list of new feature wishes.

I wonder which we will see first... Faster CPU, better video and a chrome finish are my top three items.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Everyone wants to see a new laptop, especially Apple. The problem is that all the components and chips haven't been developed yet. Once the new powerbook is ready it will be introduced, until then we will keep getting baby step revisions. Some of these baby steps are more important than others, simple speed bump of a 100mhz? not too important. New MOBO and I/O architecture with DDR? very important step. The ti may very well morph right up until the only thing seperating it from the all new powerbook will be a G5 chip and a different skin.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: what is coming

Originally posted by Backtothemac
Here is what is coming.

April 30th....

WWDC....
X.2 preview, with a launch date for NY. News on QT6. No hardware will be released.

MWNY...
New G4's.
1, 1.2 and 1.4 GHZ.
1 GHZ pc 133. 1.2 and 1.4 DDR at 266MHZ.
256, 512, and 768megs
1 GHZ supports 1.5 GB and the 1.2 and 1.4 support 4 gigs
Rapid I/O
Built-in Bluetooth controler.
60, 80, and 120GB drives.
Combo drive, super and super. Super an option on the entry system.
ATI Radeon 8500 on 1ghz, and GeForce 4 Ti on high ends

New digital device
Not a camera though.

iMac...
No changes

iBook...
750 and 850 MHZ G3's.
20 and 30 Gig HD
256 and 256 exp to 640 MB
CDRW and Combo drives. CD option only for education models.
12.1 and 14.1 obviously

iPhoto 1.1 or 2.0 call it what you want.

iMovie 3 ? possible, but maybe later.

X.2 and all of the normal stats and hubub.

Looks pretty good and on the money, but I doubt we're going to see Rapid I/O on the G4's, since it looks like from Motorola's PPC road map that's going to be an implementation of the G5 series. Maybe if we see a complete reversal of LCD prices the iMac's will drop back down in price. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.