Predictions for new Powerbook----->

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Apple!Freak, May 31, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I envision the following:

1) 13.3" Widescreen model - 12" becomes defunct
    2) 80GB Standard on all models but 17"
    3) RAM expandable to 2GB on all models
    4) Gigabit Ethernet on all models
    5) All models restyled to run on new Freescale processor
    6) Firewire 800 added as standard on all models
    7) Thinner design
    8) Higher-res displays
    9) ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Graphics to replace NVIDIA cards -- Radeon 64MB standard on all models
    10) Ultra ATA Hard Drives

(I thought I saw a thread on this yesterday, but I ran a search and nothing turned up. Please forgive me if this is indeed a duplicate.)

2. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

I predict that predictions will continue until WWDC, and ...

Then they will start all over again the minute it is over, regardless of what is released or not released ... Powerbook, iBook, G8, 2000 GB Drives, 200 GB RAM, Quad-Core, Octo-Processor, 18 Layer DVD Burners that can put on a laser show for you in their down time, etc. :D Personally, I'll enjoy whatever Apple continues to release, because it still beats Windows, hand over fist. :)

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

perhaps a small speed bump and then, finally, a powerbook with a g5 processor

but i don't see the ibook going with a g5 until much later, maybe in mid 2006

but both these things will happen before apple ports the power mac to a new processor...let's say by christmas 2006, and on the same day as the debut of the next generation of os x which will ship in the new computer

4. Rangerhall6 macrumors member

Rangerhall6

Mr. Maui... i have read a few of your recent posts and for some reason many things you say seems like you are trying to put others down. And even if it is "your opinion" like you say a lot... it gets old. Why would you care if people keep making predictions, its a rumors website.

Sorry for going off subject

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

DVD burners with laser shows?!?! Im in! But does Applecare cover that? :D

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If the ibook is to be upgraded to a new form factor which everyone thinks is due i would suppose the powerbook needs a new form factor too, nothing drastic just a slight change in style like titanium--->aluminium change done a few years back.

The processors will become either duel core G4 or a new mobile procesor that will be branded G5 but is built on a different architecture.

Bigger HD's

Better DVD Burners 8x Speed

SUperior graphics cards and 2.25gb RAM max out on all models

7. evolutioneight macrumors member

I don't think he was putting anyone down....i thought his post was hilarious...haha

8. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

a 13.3 inch widescreen would be a great laptop, I hope they go with that :)

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

What's that Aerosmith song? Oh yeah, Dream On, Dream On, Dream On

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I envision e600 G4's. 7448 based on the low end (single core @ 1.4 GHz takes less than 10w of power, INSANE battery life) and the dual core version on the high end (under 25w @ dual 1.5 GHz).

Forget G5's when we can go with e600 G4's, that have the same clock speeds and are DUAL CORE and take LESS power than single core of the current G4's ;)

11. efoto macrumors 68030

It was mentioned somewhere else (but I could not find it either) that a simple graphics upgrade to say Radeon X800 series (or perhaps one step down) would turn enough heads alone to justify a small bump and 'new' features, 64mb in 12 " and 128 std. in 15/17.

The last rev. added some neat little features (scrolling trackpad is pretty cool), upped the speed a little, and of course was quite stable as the fourth build in the series (at least 4th for 12").

Personally, if they came out with a 12" PB that went to 2Gb ram and had a better video card, I'd sell my current one (roughly 4 months old) and upgrade to that, because those are the only two factors I see currently lacking in a 12" PB. I cannot speak well for the other sizes since I have not used them, but 128mb v.ram sounds pretty nice with coreimage support in Tiger (which I don't have yet either :( )

12. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

I predict I'll leave macrumors if there's one more stupid predictions thread.

andy.

13. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Me too. I don't want no frecking G5 powerbook! :mad:

(i do really though)

14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Goodbye :D ;)

My guess is that we see new iBooks next week with new enclosure and G4 CPUs up to 1.5GHz. I know thats very close to the powerbooks but they were close before the last update as well

The powerbooks will be updated during the Paris Expo in September with the new Freescale single core e600.

Both get better screens.

15. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I'm predicting no major powerbook update. Maybe an innovative add-on that apple will come up with, to throw the dog a bone. But nothing big. I just want a price drop, and I'm pretty happy because I'm satisfied with how the hardware is at the moment.

16. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I don't necessarily want cheaper hardware but i do want more for my money. The current powerbooks don't offer this. Whether or not the powerbooks are updated at WWDC is anyones guess, but its obvious apple are working on them.

They'll be along when they're ready! :)

17. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Theres no way the ibooks will get a cpu boost to 1.5ghz and the powerbooks not. You'll see the vast majority of the 12" PB sales plummet (even further) overnight! If the ibooks get a very basic update of a cpu, gfx card (so tiger compliant) and bluetooth (it would HAVE to be BT2.0 +EDR), you've got a PB in a lucite shell.

Mind you, like someone mentioned previously, they could just drop the 12" PB entirely..... but I doubt it. A move to a 13.3" widescreen, but it wouldn't be dropped entirely...

Meh, only 5 days until we get put out of our collective misery!

18. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yeah....why don't apple use these CPU's :confused: :confused: :eek: :mad:

If they were 64Bit they should even use the in iMac's as well :eek: :D :D That would be awesome :D

19. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

My Rev 2 12" PB has Core Image support, surely your PB would too. I have to say it gets the heat up on the GPU, but I do have support for it, and I only have a 32MB card. I agree with you on the RAM and Video Card though, I really really really really love my lil Powerbook, but maybe I'd do what you do and get another should there be enough revision/upgrade on the next upcoming one.

20. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Don't sorry ... you're entitled to your opinion and interpretation too. But for the record ... I don't believe in putting people down. I actually happen to love this site, especially because of the things that come up here. I sure hope the rumors, predictions and opinions don't stop anytime soon. And again, I apologize if anyone else took offense (though I must say I don't get it).

Thanks Eight ... I'm glad someone caught the humor in it.

21. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

I doubt it. The laser shows are freak accidents that Apple does not openly acknowledge. :D

22. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

wont happen

Doubtful, many pros need the 12 incher for power and poratbility. 13.3 and widescreeen would be cool, but for many it couldnt replace the 12.

23. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

would be nice to make the difference i vs Power even more visual

probably will not happen to keep the basic model cheaper

would be nice indeed for the 12", but is it possible in the small package?

schould be possible, just a different controller ;-)

... or G5 hehe

not sure if there is enough room in the 12" but maybe if they go widescreen, ther will be...

7) Thinner design

again not sure if this is possible or they have to start using the smaller hd's from the iPod but I'm not sure if they are fast enough

8) Higher-res displays

I would not need that on a portable... but if its your main computer... well...

9) ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Graphics to replace NVIDIA cards -- Radeon 64MB standard on all models

it all depends on what you are doing with the PowerBook, I mean everybody is talking about the 5200 wich is in my G5 as being bad... never noticed that for my use... ok I have a dual monitor setup so if I go Tiger... coreimage won't be as flashy... but nothing that I will miss ;-)

why not go for the SATA drives... I know they're there, some PC manufacturers use them allready in portables...

24. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I think Firwire 800 sucks. I wouldn't mind seeing Apple just ignore it from future updates. I had nothing but problems with it and Apple doesn't do much to support it.

Am I alone in hating FW800?

25. JonMaker macrumors regular

No. I love the 12", and I know I'm not alone.

Hopefully.

It's already expandable to 4GB.

The 12" is the only that doesn't.

I hope so.

As long as they keep FW400.

7) Thinner design
    How much thinner? Aren't they thin enough?!

8) Higher-res displays
    ... for the sanity of us all.

How's about 128MB across the board?

Please?