Predictions for Paris Mac Expo

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by KBFinFan, Sep 8, 2003.

1. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

With the Paris Expo only now a week away, and with today's updates of iMacs and iPods, what are your predictions for next week?

Personally, I think the iMacs and iPods would have been announced in Paris unless there was something bigger and better. So hopefully we will see that bigger and better thing...

Bluetooth mouse and keyboard seem like an obvious choice, along with an exact release date for Panther. Since iMacs have been updated with the older style G4s, the 7457's may find their way into Powerbooks. I doubt a G5 Powerbook, but stranger things have happened.

All I want is an updated 15" PB to match the rest of the line, but I'll be patient.. I have been since May..

Waiting to switch..
    Kyle

2. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

• bluetooth mouse and keyboard
    • new software
    • new displays
    • updated powerbooks & ibooks (hopefully dual processors in the 17"PB)
    • iPod accessories
    • at least 1 BIG SURPRISE announcement

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If the "new" PowerBook gets the 7457 G4, then I sincerely hope the iBook gets the 7455 G4.
    Kinda confusing lineup now:
    iBook: G3
    eMac: G4 7455
    iMac: G4 7455
    PowerBook: G4 7457
    PowerMac: G5

4 different processors.
    And the 7457 G4 will only be used in a PowerBook..... or maybe future G4 low-cost towers???

Back on topic: I really hope Steve will say something about iTMS EU, iPhoto EU, Sherlock Channels EU. He had promised some of this at last year's MWP.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iBook at 933Mhz and 1Ghz G3
    Powerbook 12" - 933\1Ghz G4 - Alu
    Powerbook 15" - 1Ghz\1.25Ghz G4 - Alu
    Powerbook 17" - 1.25Ghz\1.33Ghz G4 - Alu
    PowerMac G4 (Recrisened something else G4, like iTower) - 1.25Ghz\1.25Dual\1.4GhzDual G4

iTMS for Canada
    iTMS for UK\Mainland Europe in January
    Panther Shipping 10/2 for arrival 10/3 or 10/5
    BlueTooth KB and Mouse
    Updated AirPort Extreme, with PC Admin Ability
    iWrite - AppleWorks Replacement
    QuickTime 6.5, with full .avi support
    iDVD update for 3rd Party DVD-Rs

Laser Engraving available for All metalic Systems
    Logos (With Permission) and more than 3 lines available for Laser Engraving

New Displays, 20HD, 23HD, and 25\30 HD
    Apple Branded TV Tuner (both ATV and DTV capable)

TEG

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I say there would be a Powerbook G5!

And to the people that say that that Apple said that there wont be any PB's G5, I say that Apple says a lot of things. Updated ibooks and emacs too and panther released

6. KBFinFan thread starter macrumors 6502

So far a lot of great and exciting ideas floating around... it's nice to have all these ideas firmly in a single thread..

Keep it coming!

7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I think perhaps everyone is little too optimistic. Or maybe I'm just a cynic. Either way... I doubt there will be any PowerBook announcements. In fact, the only hardware announcements I wouldn't be absolutely surprised to see are the Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard and MAYBE new displays. Steve will probably announce the release date of Panther, some nifty software upgrades (nothing huge, just new features on things like iCal and iSync)

On a side note, I really hope he doesn't announce anything as far as PowerBooks go unless they utilize the 7457 or G5. To have a speed bump of the 7455 would be disappointing. The only way that would be feasible is if they figured out a better method of dissipation. Anyhow, if that's the case, they shouldn't bother. We've waited this long, we may as well wait a few more months to get a really spectacular update.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I seriously doubt that there will be new displays. I think that to keep up with the year of the laptop there will be Powerbook and iBook updates, iBooks with the 750GX, Powerbooks with the 7457, iBooks at 1.0 ghz and powerbooks at 1.25 (no dualies). All I can hope for is that SIMD on the iBooks.:D

9. BJNY macrumors regular

Glad I'm not the only one expecting / hoping for updated G4 towers. I'd like for them to still be dual boot and up to 1.5GHz

I'm resigned to waiting until MWSF in Jan. 2004 for new displays, but if a 30" comes out next week, I'll be all over it.

I'd like to see 1) the 15" updated to Aluminum features, 2) the entire lineup getting 7457's at lower prices, and 3) dual 7457's in the 17"

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I wouldn't ever expect to see this happen - why would they continue to upgrade the G4 towers for dual boot compatibility when its in their best interest to move on, away from OS 9. I would bet we'll see the end of OS 9 bootable machines by 2004....

D

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I agree about there being no Macs to be able to boot OS 9 next year.

But I find it hard to believe that Apple will only use the 7457 G4 for PowerBooks. As the iMac just got updated, we can be pretty sure they won't get the 7457 for at least 6 months.
    Or is Moto incapable of delivering enough 7457's that Apple is forced to only use them in a PowerBook?
    The iBook probably will not get these G4's, as there has to be a performance difference between the PowerBooks and iBooks....

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I forgot to mention - I'm thinking that we'll see a G5 XServe at Paris.....makes sense. And now with the minor updates to the iPod and iMac, there needs to be something 'cool/new'. I'm not sure about the 15" Powerbook, though. We've been getting so many rumors about it, its almost as if it will never happen....

D

13. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I won't preach too much about this again but i SERIOUSLY DOUBT you will ever see a true G4 chip in the iBooks.

My reasoning again stands behind the fact that Motorola SUCKS and has been at the root of MOST of Apple's hardware problems. IBM Makes the G3 for Apple and now the G5... I can see Apple calling the G3 with AltiVec something other than G3, maybe even G4 or something but it wont be a true G4 and b/c of that it wont be happeneing at the next show. One of Apple's problems is all their machines have the same chips and the same costs... Expect the G3 iBook to continue to be G3. Expect the iMacs to continue with G4's until they reach the highest Ghz of the 7457. Expect a G5 powerbook no time before MWSF 2004 and even then be suprised. Basically Apple will NOT canibalize the sales of the G5's by adding a G5 PowerBook this soon. Even if they have them, which i doubt they do...they won't do it. eMacs will follow the path of the iMac with a G4.

Don't expect PB's to have 7457's because there has been news not rumors of them not being ready, if Apple announces PB's they are going to be ready for immediate release b/c of demand and consumer attitude.

Also I don't think the G3 1.1GHz is available, just that IBM is going to start making it soon, so no iBook updates.

I would say no new displays since Apple made the G5 commercial and pics with the current ACD's but...the fact the G5 came with the eMac's non-pro keyboard suprised me as well. So MAYBE the ACD's will be announced.

I expect a full demo of Panther with a release date. Possibly a demo or mention of the "OFFICE" like suite I've been hearing about.

Maybe as I said above ACD's and I think possibly the iPod Peripheral mentioned before in rumors and...the BT Keyboard Mouse announcement.

I have of course no real facts...I just have had a strong feeling that Paris would be the announcement of the Panther release date and now that Steve's doing a Keynote... I am pretty sure...

That's my 0.55 cents which brings my total today to 1.00. I am sure someone wants a refund!

MacboyX

14. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I don't know why everyone is doubting that there will be G5 powerbooks next week, i believe it is VERY possible that G5 powerbooks get released.
    Powerbooks haven't been updated for ages; iMac and iPod updates came before powerbook updates; the G5 chip is not too hot for laptop use, and it is MEANT to be the "year of the laptop"???

I believe we will see:
    G5 Powerbooks
    iTMS EU and Canada
    Perhaps something like Office

15. flynntastic macrumors newbie

I think that those are good bets. Its been a while, and the TV tuner seems possible.

As far as the G5 PB goes, I doubt it. Ive had a friend at apple, and a friend that knows lots of people both tell me to "not count on it" as far as G5 goes.

What about upped G4 Powerbooks?

16. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

what if the old PowerMacs are speed bumped a bit and given a white casing (paint the old one white) and sold as a consumer model. there's always been demand for a more custoizeable model that is less than a pro workstation.

17. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

People at Apple say a lot of things.
    As for the Xserves they will have a G5 chip in them or they will be discountnued

18. flynntastic macrumors newbie

I dont think they would discontinue them... IMO

19. BJNY macrumors regular

Do you suppose it's so difficult that Apple couldn't synchronize the design and manufacturing of new displays and keyboard/mouse to coincide with the availability of the G5 towers?

20. iMax531 macrumors member

who knows

Its friggin astounding how many thigs are floating around right now. Let's recap:

• G5 Powerbooks/updated powerbooks
    • Totally new iBooks/G4 iBooks/faster G3 iBooks
    • G5 Xserve
    • Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse
    • Updated eMacs
    • Low end G4 towers
    • New Displays
    • iTMS for outside US
    • iTMS for Windows
    • iWorks or office suite
    • and there's always some surprise

On top of all that I'm sure there's something I've forgotten... So who knows what Paris will bring. But if it brings even half of those things it will be an amazing expo.

All of this said here's what seems likely:

Office Suite - it's simply been too long since anything has happened here. It's time.

iTMS for Europe/Canada - it's the time and the place.

iTMS for windows? I know there have been rumors of snags but Apple surprises.

Powerbooks/iBooks. I have no clue whatsoever if the G5 is coming but like others have said, stanrger things have happened.

G5 Xserves. Again, a needed update.

and something else. There's always something else.

so those are my predictions... we shall see shant we.

-imax

21. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

The powerbook will be a G5. I just don't know when it will be announced.

22. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

First off about two weeks ago I watched the streamed speech Jobs gave where he said "year of the laptop" You need to pay attention to the context where he said it. It was meant to underline the new devices Apple was releasing. Not that you were going to have some ungodly number of laptops released in a short period of time.

We aren't going to see G5's. I so sure of this I went and blew 2 grand of the 3 that I had saved up for a G5 PowerBook because I know it. (My TV just died and I figured it was time to go HDTV.)
    Every rumor, every scrap of information since the announcement this summer of the G5 PowerMac suggests that Apple wanted dearly to release an updated PowerBook before the start of the school season. Apple always does this to rake in as much of the back to school crowd as possible. If Apple had been working on a PowerBook G5 along side a PowerMac G5 you can bet your *** that they would have either released it or allowed preorders prior to the end of August. What would be the reason they would hold back a completed G5 PowerBook? There is none. However a better reason would be that they planned on releasing a 7457 earlier this year and Moto dropped the ball. Consequently Apple is stuck with a massive case of rock and a hard place. They could either hold out and not produce any more PowerBooks and lose sales or continue to produce current PowerBooks and get stuck with a large stockpile of these systems when Moto finally gets their act together and produces large quantities of the 7457. I’m thinking Apple bit the bullet and stopped all orders of the current crop of G4’s which in turn kills any shipments of PowerBooks. There isn’t any mystery here.

Now you have people grasping at straws hoping that instead Apple is scrambling to play catchup and is going to release a G5 PowerBook by pulling some Houdini act.

Unless Apple has been working on a parallel line of development with the G5 PowerMac (which isn’t the case because they would have launched that before Sept 1st to nab the back to school kids.) they don’t have the support chips or the main board ready to go. People keep missing the sole fact that even though technically a G5 can be placed in a PowerBook without it burning up; without the support chips (a.k.a. Chipset.) You can’t ship jack squat. Which means that Apple right now as I type this is probably working hand in hand with IBM on the chipset but I’m willing to bet it isn’t ready and won’t be ready until 1st or 2nd quarter of 2004.
    And to be bluntly honest I wouldn’t touch a G5 PowerBook even if it did come out next week. A laptop with a G5 in it so soon would scream, screech, and squeal rushed to market and usually anything rushed to market has major defects in it. A shiny Apple logo doesn’t change the fact that human error creeps in when people are rushed to do a job.

I’m fully willing to eat crow on this. If a G5 does show up great. But I’m 99.9987% convinced that we are going to see 7457 based PowerBooks announced next week (Shipping in October.) and G5 15" and 17" Powerbooks either at the convention that happens in Jan or the one in June. Sorry don't have the names memorized yet :p

23. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

However much you guys are dying for G5 powerbooks there are NOT gonna happen now. There have been no viable rumors that they are coming, no tidbits of info about a 1.3 ghz G5, and no possible way thaat there will be a G5 PB at paris. All the other possibilities here are viable though. Personally I predict that Qarklar is coming, OS X for the Apple ][. Hoo Yea. :D Along with some next-gen chips manufactured by apple by using a .0000000000000000001 micron process running at 8ghz and 70ºF approximately 1"x1"x1" containing its own mobo, gpu, 6 EB (exobyte) flash HD, with 45 TB of RAM. Then Jobs will announce that this chip, dubbed the MaximumExtraCoolMasterMegaSuperXtraBest will be installed in a flexible plasma screen that can be rolled up to a size of 1cm by 1cm and unrolled to a 46" HD widescreen wieghing 1 ounce. This system, known as the MEGA-ULTRA will cost $5.00 U.S.

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm skeptical that there is much of a market for such a product...Rather, I think that Apple will spend more time trying to put some of the faster G4s (up to the 1.42) into the PowerBook, until the PB G5 comes along.

There will be more demand for a laptop than for a tower, as far as G4s go.

25. Dai Bando macrumors member

Dai Bando

I nixed my daughters PB order. I would expect Powerbook updates. There is nothing in the retail chain. And tonite, Apple's refurbished page is loaded with gear. And Xmas is not that far away. BT mouse and KB. Aluminum and scissor keyes.:)