Predictions for the future

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macmaniac, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Well since Apple did not release new Powermacs I came up with a kinda flow chart of events-
    August 15 1.2ghz come out-MWSF 1.4ghz or G5 but unlikely- MWNY G5 comes out. This sequence leads to G5s by MWNY, but here is another look.
    August 15 1.4ghz comes out-MWSF G5s appear-MWNY who knows?
    August 15 no new anything-MWSF 1.2 or 1.4ghz come out-MWNY possibility of G5s if 1.4ghz is at MWSF.
    SO what do you think is right?
  2. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2002
    Winter Park, FL
    I'd say the second option of 1.4's in August and G5's in MWSF sounds most plausible. Though I'm not sure if we'll see G5 until MWNY '03.

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I guess there was too much pot around Apple theses past years and they drop the ball. I do not think about G5 this year.
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm still siding with...

>August 15 1.4ghz comes out-MWSF G5s appear...

The one thing I am wondering is if the collection of photos from the G4 revision are, in fact, plausible. Some say they're real (I'm saying they are real), others not so and some undecided. This has been discussed already, but...

Let's spark up the rumors here and see if we can get some of those from under the 999 into the real/fake opinion of the valadity of the photos. (In plain English, let's see what those, who are not sure about if these photos are real or not, have to say about them now, if they had to choose between them being real or fake.)
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I would expect 1.3 to 1.5 GHz machines this year with the possibility of a G5 this time next year. DDR is a good bet, but 266 MHz at this time seems too slow. 333 MHz would seem good without the price gouging that will occur with 400 MHz DDR. Since memory throughput has long been a problem, this should help address it.
  6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    There was another thread that mentioned that we won't ever see a G5, but go directly to the G6 - specifically because the G5 doesn't have an Alti-Vec engine.

The more I thought about this, the more I believe that the G4s successor will be the G6. But when is anybodies guess, but most likely MWNY '03.

And continuing the G4 for another year is going to be tough - I hope Apple can manage to stay competitive till the new processor - what ever it may be - finally arrives.

7. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Especially since the "G5" name is already used by Motorola for other purposes...