Prefer humans? Give this a try.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Deepdale, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The majority of people nowadays are required to deal at least occasionally with an IVR (Interactive Voice Response) system when trying to contact various business and government agencies, and many of us have had our last nerve ending frazzled before hanging up in frustration. Paul English provides steps which should enable you to speak with a person and bypass the IVR. Be sure to click on Paul’s info page and the other tabs for some very helpful info.

In the hope of alleviating some of that torment, I would ask you to check out the following website: www.paulenglish.com/ivr/

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Shame they are USA only , but very usefull for our US members :cool:

any one have UK/Europe numbers like these ?

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    i dealt with one last night. It was so tempting to try and engage it in phone sex.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's often 0 for many services like this in the UK.

If I'm at home using something like this and want to speak to a person, I normally just put the speaker on the phone on and wait, not responding to any of the instructions. 9 times out of 10 you'll get switched to an operator.

Mind you, I also like the automated services for paying certain bills by debit card. It's fast and I get a small kick out of some of the robot voices reading your details back to you. :eek:

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Some years ago, I worked briefly (for a period of about six months) with coding IVR systems, and we always used "0" (albeit as a hidden option) for directing to a human.

However, that was a requirement of our customer (I only worked for one during that time) so isn't necessarily always available.

6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow - this is great. Thanks for posting the linky.

7. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Next time I need to fix my digital cable this will help. It breaks like every month and the stupid machine always goes crazy on me.

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

9. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Neat list, I don't have to deal with that many companies (as I am only 17) but the fiew I have had to deal with, something like this would be nice to use at times.

10. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

And here I thought you were going to link to Hufu... phew!

12. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Yes, we all meet up and say how much we HATE rdowns. Ever wonder why know one responds to your posts? haha ;)

Maybe it was becuase Thanksgiving was coming up... and no one was here... or that your title wasnt as good... or maybe its just that everyone hates you. :rolleyes:

Anyway... cool list. Thanks.

13. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I never noticed when you did that back on 11-23. It can be a very helpful and handy item and I gladly give you credit for having posted it as a reference guide for all members.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember seeing that :)
    However, since I'm not in the US, it didn't really apply to me so I didn't say anything.

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Awesome, I wouldn't have it any other way.