preferred e-mail program for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Dec 18, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I'm looking for an e-mail program to hang my hat on. What is the preferred one between Entourage, Mail, and .Mac Mail. Or are there others? I have Office X, and obviously Mail. I would consider .mac service if the Mac people out there think it is a worthy purchase. Thanks for any thoughts and recommendations.

Frank

2. rccola70 macrumors regular

I like Mail. It's easy to use...and compatible with Gmail...

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I use Mail.

I just absofreakinglutely HATE Outlook/Entoourage. Way too complicated for a simple task.

The only reason I would get .Mac is if you want to sync acorss multiple Macs (a feature I LOVE - since I have three), easily share some photos (i.e. you don't have your own domain) or share video.

The e-mail isn't worth 99.00 it's the other features.

4. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Thunderbird 1.0 is very good! I like it more that Mail... :cool:
    Thunderbird

[​IMG]

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Since Mail comes with your computer, and Thunderbird is free, why not try them both out and decide for yourself? Just be sure to check the box "leave mail on server" when setting up the accounts on both programs, so you get to see all messages using both programs.

Of course if you've got an IMAP mailbox leaving mail on the server is how it works anyway :D - but most people still have POP3.

6. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

good point.
    [​IMG]

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the quick responses. To the guys using Thunderbird, are you also using Mozilla for Mac, and I don't even know if it exists, but I'm assuming it does, since they have an e-mail program.
    I use Safari currently.

Frank

8. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

9. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I dont think its worth it... You can get webspace much cheaper and with your own domain, if this is what you need .mac for...

Merry X-MAS everybody!

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I use Firefox (which is a Mozilla browser, if that's not clear) - but I have used Safari at times. Thunderbird works just fine with either browser.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I use .mac mail and it works ok.... I think there is something wrong with it because i can't send mail but i can receive mail.... :confused: any way if worked the way it soposed to it would be wroth the money cause u get the extra features of .mac

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I like mail.app for its integration with the other iLife apps, namely address book and iCal.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Bingo. same reason here, it makes things much easier & more fluid to do

14. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Mail here.

I've been a Mac user for three years, but never used it. Now that it works with my Gmail account, I'm really liking using Mail.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You don't need anything but Mail. As others has pointed out the integration with other applications alone makes it the best option, that it's preinstalled, has Apples good desing and a fairly good spam-filter only adds to its advantages.

And I'm no stranger to replace Apple programs. When Firefox 1.0 came out it was bye, bye Safari. Here's why...

16. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>I've been a Mac user for three years, but never used it. Now that it works with my Gmail account, I'm really liking using Mail.<<

I can see that. And GMail gives you step by step instructions on how to set it up. I can't see paying the $ 99/yr to have a web based e-mail that I can use on Mail. I was looking at a friends .mac mail this morning and I like Mail better. Pretty slick.

I have my local ISP and g-mail working on Mail. We travel a bit and it is nice to be able to easily pick up the mail

Thanks.

Frank

17. ricebag macrumors member

puckhead - sending mail

Kinda off topic but I have had this problem in the past and it was ALWAYS because I would set Mail up somewhere and then change locations. To fix it, change your new Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) in preferences. I'm not sure what it has to be exactly, but at school I need it at studentmailC.kenyon.edu, at home it's smtp.iowatelecom.net, and in town here it's smtp-server.columbus.rr.com. Incoming is the same for all three because you always get your mail from the same server. Check with your ISP.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I use Thunderbird, which was initially created from Mozilla/Netscape's mail application. Thunderbird has far exceeded those capabilities. I have used various e-mail applications and it suits me.

I use Firefox as my primary browser, but the interaction between Thunderbird and any browser would be fine because it's limited to passing a little information which opens a new window in the other application. I don't think that you would see a problem with using Safari with Thunderbird.

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Huh? :confused: You make it seem like .mac is an app... You can use .mac with mail.app you know?

20. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

A lot of ISPs do this to prevent spammers using their sendmail (SMTP) servers as open relays - if you're not physically on the ISP's network, you can't use their sendmail servers.

Some of the more intelligently run ISPs will let you use their sendmail servers from anywhere, as long as you authenticate first. You need to ask your ISP about it though - and make sure they allow TLS or SSL connections in this case. Otherwise you're sending your username/password over the network in the clear.