Preferred Method of DVD to PSP conversion?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Feb 17, 2007.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Basically, I have a PSP here that's vastly underused. I know the ups and downs and ins and outs and even upside downs of ripping and converting DVDs for iPods, however, I've yet to find a good solution for the PSP for us Mac users.

The mpeg files that handbrake spits out for the iPod work on the PSP, but I'm not getting as good as a picture as the PSP is capable of. Any suggestions, fellow macheads?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If I want to play DVDs on my PSP, I rip them with Handbrake and encode them with VisualHub.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I have. I found that the volume is a bit low and you cannot choose specific chapters to rip. I'd also like a few other advanced options to tweak. Otherwise solid program.

Isn't that double-encoding? Like ripping a MP3 from a CD and then ripping it again? Wouldn't I be unnecessarily reducing quality on the video?

5. MP4-22 macrumors member

I usually rip it at a really good quality then convert that file to a iPod or PSP usable format. But yes, it is double-encoding and will most likely reduce quality.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

But ripping for PSP will reduce the quality no matter what.

I use Media Fork and then I'd suggest VisualHub.

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I fed a video through handbrake at .avi, MPEG, at 100% then fed it through FFMPEGX with the PSP preset and it came out very muddled and hideous looking.

Anyone the specs one would need to plug into Handbrake to get it to make a PSP video straight out? I know those for the iPod, but what would the PSP read as a usable file?