Preliminary iPhone 1.1.1 'Jailbreak', Ringtones Soon?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 8, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When Apple released the iPhone 1.1.1 update, they broke a number of 3rd party hacks for the iPhone. This included all 3rd party applications as well as ringtone applications such as iToner.

TUAW reports that the iPhone Dev team has found a way to "jailbreak" 1.1.1. "Jailbreak"-ing is the process that allows 3rd party developers to deploy their applications to the iPhone. This accomplishment paves the way to re-open the iPhone to 3rd party apps.

The technique is very preliminary and not yet ready for public release, and will likely require developers to recompile many of the existing iPhone applications.

Meanwhile, iToner 1.0.3 will be undergoing beta testing shortly, which should re-introduce Ringtone support into iPhone 1.1.1.

Ongoing iPhone coverage at macrumors.com/iPhone

Article Link

2. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

Ambrosia has been able to get access to the user area of the iPhone under 1.1.1 again (which is how they send ringtones to the iPhone), however last I heard they were still trying to identify how Apple tags "official" ringtones so that iTunes and the iPhone will recognize them.

3. macrumors 6502a

:)

Well done chaps - hope that gives you plenty of time for the UK's release!

F

4. macrumors member

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Great success! To the iPhone dev team!

5. macrumors 6502a

Excellent. Amazing how things are progressing. :)

6. macrumors newbie

Is anyone looking to do the same thing (I mean jailbreak) with the iPod touch? I would love to add some 3rd party apps to mine!!

7. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I wish Apple would support my own Garageband tunes or my own simple sound effects. I hate to deal with these updates breaking stuff.

8. macrumors 6502

mozmac

Keep putting the pressure on, guys. Don't let Apple sleep. It's only through these efforts that Apple will see the demand and open up.

9. Editor emeritus

longofest

read the article via the TUAW link and you'll find out :)

10. macrumors 6502a

There's a well-known acronym for this...

LOL - surely you can't be asking the user to RTFA?!

11. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if this jailbreak-thing has anything to do with the unlocking process?

12. macrumors newbie

Great Job Iphone 3rd apps Dev Team

We should all thank dinopio, asap18, netkas, Martyn, mjc, Niacin, BloomFilter, pytey, tE_gU, pumpkin, roxfan, sam, SmileyDude, NerveGas, Nate True, Arminius, DirectriX, ixtli, kroo, zibri, xorl, and the all rest of the team who are working hard to provide us all with those great tools.

The names were copied from the tuaw.com article. I am sure there's more people to thank.

:cool:

13. macrumors 6502

freddiecable

and that this is the first step to unlock for other SIMs?

14. macrumors regular

I hope this works for the touch too, I read the article but it doesn't specifically say anything about the touch. I know of two methods they were working on, one was using a Tiff exploit which would work for the iTouch too, and the other was using a bit of code put into 1.0.2 on the iphone and then upgrading to 1.1.1 and which would not work on the itouch.

Anyone know their method and specifically will it work with the touch

15. macrumors 6502

Here's my theory (because we're on the interwebz and everyone is entitled to my opinion, right? :p ):

1. I believe Apple released 1.1.1 with almost no new features as a way to test their approach to locking down the phone.

2. I'm betting Apple won't release many new apps until they know the phone is locked down.

3. The approach the iPhone Dev team is taking essentially provides Apple with a step-by-step approach for how to break into the iPhone. Apple's dev team will surely respond with a 1.2 or whatever to eliminate that 'attack' vector.

4. Most people will claim that they won't update beyond version X; however, I think Apple will convince people to upgrade by including 1 or 2 requested apps/features.

Steve Jobs has said this is a cat and mouse game. I think this is how Apple will respond. This is so strikingly similar to the PSP scene. Sony releases firmware X with new feature Y. Then the PSP dev teams break the firmware and create their own custom firmware. Except in this case, I'm betting that Apple has seen how the PSP hacking scene has evolved and they're going to attempt to make it harder than Sony has.

Time will tell. Personally, I would like a world with a real SDK and 3rd party apps that live alongside with Apple apps. My thinking is that Apple won't release that SDK publicly until they've got the iPhone well locked down.

Just my theory...

:cool:

--DotComCTO

16. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Groundhog Day?

17. macrumors P6

twoodcc

sounds like good news to me. i do miss the 3rd party apps on my iPhone

18. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Great news - a heartfelt congrats and thanks to the iPhoneDev Team.

You know, I really wish Apple would cut this crap out - that the iPhone can be Jailbreaked means that putting together a realistic SDK to do the same (that would most likely also be more stable and easier to use) isn't that difficult. The damn thing is running OS X, and frankly there's a lot of folks who want to take advantage of that.

I think Apple would also pursuade a lot of fencesitters if it opened up the iPhone - my Verizon contract ends at the beginning of November, and I've got 3 choices: re-up with Verizon even though they're more expensive and hate both Bluetooth and Macs; 2) Switch to a Cingular family plan with my partner and buy a Treo 680; or, 3) Switch to a Cingular family plan with my partner and buy an iPhone.

I'd much prefer the iPhone, but not if Apple keeps playing this game the way it has. And frankly, the Treo would perfectly suffice for my needs and wishes with a smartphone. I would just prefer an iPhone because of what it has the potential to do. I imagine I'm not the only person on the fence like this, and Apple needs to learn, apparently the hard way, that complete application control and nickeling and diming folks for ringtones aren't the way to capture fencesitters.

19. macrumors newbie

The Man

at what point did Apple take over from Microsoft as being 'the Man'? I bought my first Mac in the way back partly as a protest against the sharp practices and cartelling associated with MS.

looks like Bill Jobs and AppleSoft is little better .....

Linux anyone??

20. macrumors member

alexandr

lets go iToner! i want the advantages that 1.1.1 gives..

21. macrumors 6502a

Nykwil

man, i really hope apple does not go the way of charging per application.
    ie: you have to pay for an alarm clock application on the sidekick

:wtf:

22. macrumors 6502

If only someone made a linux hybrid player/phone with a multitouch user interface with a decent gui. This seems like something palm should be working on but yet they are to busy draging way behind.

23. GQB
    macrumors 65816

Frankly, the line between hacking the system via security vulnerabilities for 'good' vs doing it for 'evil' is a razor thin-line.
    I'm rooting for the cat.
    IMHO.

24. macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling that Apple has intended on selling third party applications through iTunes, but needs to lock the iPhone down in order to succeed in doing so. It makes sense, they sell everything else through iTunes: songs, videos, games, ringtones, so why not applications?

25. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

You mean like this:

http://www.openmoko.org/