Premier League Widget - Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kpanda, Oct 13, 2006.

1. kpanda macrumors newbie

I'm looking into making a Premier League widget in the same style as the NHL and NFL widgets I've made, see images below. And I need to find someone who is an avid follower of the league, and possibly the owner of a site dedicated to it, who would be interested in working together on it. What I need essentially is someone who would be the dedicated hoster and updater of the .XML file that contains the scores, times, etc. and possibly the table for league standings. This would be for next year's season. If anyone is interested please respond via this thread.

[​IMG]

2. nick004 macrumors regular

Sorry, I can't help. I would definitely use that widget though. Looks awesome.

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

are you talking about the English Premiership (football)?

what kind of XML file? Do you have the structure for it?

I *may* be interested, but would need more details.

And no, I don't host/run any other football related sites :rolleyes:

4. kpanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm talking about the English Premiership.

The .xml file would be extremely simple, as in:

<home></home>
    <away></away>
    <homescore></homescore>
    <awayscore></awayscore>
    <date></date>

That's it. This would be updated after the matches have concluded, it is not live updating. I simply don't have time to follow the whole league and do the updating since I've got the others to do.

5. DTBJackal macrumors newbie

Will be a vivid user of this widget! Try getting the info from premierleague.com! They have updated scores and everything on the site.

6. abhishek macrumors member

Hey kpanda,

I'd love to help!! If that's all you;d want me to fill out after games, I'd love to. Is that the only XML thats gonna be around? I dont see why it should be a problem for me cos Im like an avid follower of the Premiership and have nothing better to do all day...So do let me know if you'd like me to help out..

If you want mail me in at nair.abhishek@gmail.com as Im more regular out there than at the forums..

Seeya

Abhi..

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Sky Sports supports RSS can you not just use theirs?

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

not sure if they syndicate their prem scores tho?

this is their webpage for scores: http://home.skysports.com/results.aspx?cpid=8 but the RSS feed just has nwes items in it.

if there is a RSS feed for prem scores, that would be the most natural source for this widget

9. kpanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Technically speaking I would like to avoid lifting any information from any site or feed. It would make my life easier if I did, but the way I see it unless one gains permission to do so, which is tough to get, you are essentially "stealing" someone else's work. I also want to be able to rely on the feed I am using, and as such the only real way to do so is to be the one who has it, updates it, and implements it.

For those of you who are interested in helping it is important that you have server space somewhere, as you will be the one hosting the .xml file. This should be a reliable server and preferably not your home computer as a lot of people will be accessing the feed and it needs to stay on-line 24hrs a day. As I mentioned before, ideally this would be someone who has webspace and runs a website. You'll be given credit on the widget and you can distribute it on your site, they'll also be a link to your site on the widget.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

11. kpanda thread starter macrumors newbie

See, LiveScores.com makes their money by having advertising on their site and by selling their service of providiving "live scores". Taking those scores and offering them to the world without paying them, giving them credit, etc is essentially the same thing as stealing the content of someone's website, putting it on your own site and claiming it as your own. Nobody can own the scores in a game, however they can own the site and the code which provide them to people on the internet.

So, to make things simple, I have my own .xml file that needs to be updated as games conclude, this is not live scoring, this is just a widget that shows a schedule, standings, and results.

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Oh, Ok. I'll stop now! :D

13. kpanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe me if I could find an easier way of doing this I would...

14. abhishek macrumors member

hmmm server space is it..a friend of mine is a web site designer and has set aside some webspace for my band as well...hmm..shall let you know...

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

leopard

or, u could wait till leopard for the "create your own widgets" feature :D