Preordering

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

So, I've never preordered a game system before. I've never even preordered a game. But now I'm so interested and wanting a (you guessed it) Revolution that I want to preorder one. When will this be available and what is the best way to go about doing it? Is it just as soon as the price tag is released that you can go to bestbuy or something and preorder it?

Thanks for the help, sorry for the stupid question

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

your best place to Pre-order is going to be GameStop or EB Games. Im not sure how good Best Buy and such handle their pre-orders cause their not really based off of that system.

More or less, when the price gets announced, most places take the pre-order. Take note though, just because you have a pre-order, dosent mean you will get your unit launch date. You will still have to wait in line for its first come 1st server to those who pre-ordered. So to those who didnt, their just out of luck.

Im sure you can read here or on Gamestop or IGN when the pre-order for the unit goes on

3. Compatiblepoker macrumors regular

I've done it at EB games awhile back. Now I just wait like the rest of the slubs. Too lazy to preorder anything these days.

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

heh yea.

Pre-Order is all about saying you have the unit at launch really. Cause there usually isnt an amazing selection the 1st few months anyways. Not to say there isnt good games but not like those who have waited 6 months and now have alot more choices.

Regardless, ive gotten ever councle from PS1 on launch date, minus GameCube. Just waiting for the PS3 :D :D
    *goes back to ghost recon on 360*

5. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ok, so I'm confused. Does it matter who preorders first, or does it matter who goes to pick it up first among the people who preorder?

ie, 4 people, A, B, C, D, preorder in that order. The store only gets 3 Revolutions. Does D have to wait, or instead is it the first three of A-D who get to the store get the Rev, and the last person there has to wait? Of course, I'm assuming those who did not preorder have no chance to get one if only 3 arrived and there were 4 people who preordered, is that right?

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I worked at GameStop for a while, I'll try to answer best I can.

The store is informed how many they will receive ahead of time. The order does matter, but only if they receive a very limited amount. For example, my local GameStop received 8 XBox 360's (an EXTREMELY low number), and had dozens of preorders. They actually informed people months ahead of time (as early in June) whether they would be on the first, second, or third shipment.

Unless there's a shortage, usually the order you pre-order in isn't a problem. Though with something in high demand, you do want to pre-order as soon as possible.

Either way, pre-ordering guarantees you will get one as soon as they have one in stock and have given them to everyone in front of you on the list. So you don't have to check back in the store every day hoping to find one.

Also, I'd recommend pre-ordering at GameStop.

Right now, they have a "call list" at my local GameStop- a list of names and numbers, and the instant the Revolution is available for pre-order I will get a phone call informing me that I can come down and preorder it.

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

GFL, any info on the PS3 pre-order? Im surprised their not taking them yet for people who just wanna put something down, we know its gonna be in november. I member thats what they did with my PSP. they didnt know at the time when it was gonna launch yet but they took $100 and put me down anyways.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never preordered a console before but I'll certainly preorder a Revolution. Having a rough guess of how many will be in my local Game or Gamestation; it's better to be safe than sorry! They'll probably get 5 in each :D It's the only console I've been interested in before it's launch, too.

9. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I looked for a gamestop, and the closest one is over an hour away. Is EBgames really that bad at it? There are a couple of those in my town.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Now that EBGames and GameStop are the same company, I doubt there's much of a difference.

I just usually prefer GameStop because with the two nearest GameStops to my house, both of them are staffed by 90% Mac fans (in a gaming store- strange, I know), and the employees are all extremely cool and will discuss games with you for hours. Meanwhile, the staff at the local EBGames are rather lame :p

11. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Check Costco.com every once in a while. When they update their revolution info, there should be an option to be e-mailed when they get item information. I did that for the XBOX 360, and I really should have gotten one through them. You do have to go with the bundle, but if you're going to get a memory card, game and extra controller anyways, why not get it at the same time and save a little cash as well? The money you save will more than likely pay for S&H and the Costco "warranty" on products is worth its weight in gold...especially if there's any first gen issues (which there inherantly will be)

:D

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've never pre-ordered anything (but that's because I've never owned any console myself)...

But I wouldn't pre-order any games because I find that the week of any game's given release date a few stores will actually have it in stock and on sale; cheaper than the MSRP you'd have to pay for a pre-ordered game.

For example, Kingdom Hearts 2, I didn't pre-order it and got it for $39 the day it came out. My cousin pre-ordered it months in advance, paid full price, and didn't receive it until a week and a half after the release date. :p

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

How is that possible? No stores sold it for less than $49 on launch day.

Anyway, remember, the 360 was sold out for months.

JDOG; the Revolution doesn't really need a memory card, and my complaint about those packages is that sometimes they don't include the game you want with it.

14. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i know that circuit city had it in their ad for 39.99 at
    launch... maybe the dont get it on tuesday as an EBgames
    or gameStop would... but waiting til thursday or friday has
    its privleges...

at any rate i got metroid prime hunters for DS at circuit city
    the day before EB would sell it... pretty cool...

i will preorder PS3 and Revolution regardless... i just have to
    have them both immediately...

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I alway's pre-order ASAP.

It's the only way to secure a console for launch and at a fixed price.

At least we didn't get the 'u have to buy the bundle' in Ireland like you did in the states with the 360.

I'd say because the REV and PS3 are coming out around the same time (still don't think ps3 will make europe till spring 07) it's gonna be doubly hard to get a console.

A lot of shops wont be accepting pre-orders till they get an Official Marketing statement from the supplier so you still may have some waiting to do.

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Like g30ffr3y said, CC had it for $39 so did Fry's.