prepaid iphone 4s options (virgin or straight talk)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanielQ, Sep 19, 2012.

1. DanielQ, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

macrumors member

Okay, I've elected to get the 4s on Virgin Mobile (US) for the long-term savings and a lack of a plan. The one thing that gets me is that a 4S from them is $650. The same phone unlocked from Apple is $550.

I can't get the unlocked version and use it with Virgin Mobile, can I? My research indicates this likely won't work. I would just hate paying an extra $100 for a phone that will still be locked.

Thoughts/advice? Any way around this?

2. macrumors 6502a

There's no way around it. The intent of the virgin mobile plan is to help sprint fulfilled their commitment to buy iPhones, so you are being offered a low monthly rate on the condition that you are buying the iPhone locked to the virgin mobile network

3. thread starter macrumors member

Ah okay.

Right now I'm considering getting an ATT or unlocked iphone 4s and using it on StraightTalk instead.

Is it possible to use a Verizon iPhone 4s on straighttalk? They seem to be more widely available on the used iphone market. I know it's a different network/frequency or whatever, but the hardware's the same, so there should be a way to enable it, right?