Prepaid SIM card LG/Net 10 - UNLOCKED iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KidneyMerchant, Nov 26, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Nov 18, 2008
    I have an iPhone unlocked both via software and through TurboSim (hardware unlock). I don't have a sim card in it because I've got a Net 10/LG prepaid piece-of-crap phone whose sim won't work in my iPhone; it says "No Service" even though I obviously do have service.

Is there any way I can use this sim card and get rid of my other phone?
  2. macrumors 68000

May 16, 2006
    From a quick Google search, it appears that a Net 10 "SIM" card doesn't really work the same way as most SIM cards. It seems to be "reverse-locked".

That is to say, in a conventional SIM locking arrangement, the phone knows what network it "belongs to", and it will reject any SIM which was issued by any competing networks.

In a Net 10 SIM, the SIM card itself also knows the IMEI of the phone it was originally paired with, and it will reject any phone which reports a different IMEI.

You'd need to either hack the iPhone to report a different IMEI, or else figure out a way to modify the TurboSIM so that it relays fake information in both directions - a fake MNC/MCC to the iPhone to make it think it's on AT&T, and a fake IMEI to the SIM card to make it think it's inserted in its original paired phone.
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Why not just call them and set up a new account with the iphones IMEI number.

That's what i just did with my T-Mobile pre-paid SIM..

I think i got a NET10 phone laying around there somewhere.. i'll try it and see what they say.. :D