Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PuterSaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Gulf Coast
I'm selling my iMac G5 20" rev A to make way for a rev C that should be here tomorrow. I backed up all the important documents on the old iMac and wish to put it in "safe for sale status" before sending it off. What should I do? Just a simple reinstall of OS X?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
PuterSaurus said:
Just a simple reinstall of OS X?
Make sure you format your hard drive during that install. Some people will tell you to zero all the data. Basically it makes it near impossible for anyone to recover data off it. There is also the 8-way random write which is even more secure. These extra security options can take a long time to complete. Personally, unless you have classified work, sensitive material, or personal info you want to make sure is destroyed, a simple format will work.

Macabron

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Durango, México.
I just sold mine, and zeroing all data felt the most secure and it only took about an hour, then just reinstall the OS, and when it wants to setup a new user account, quit and it will shut itself off. That way the new owner gets the new mac expierience in all it's glory!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.