Prepare Yourselfs for the influx of Newbies!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TBR, Dec 24, 2004.

1. TBR macrumors 6502

I hope everyone has there 'helpful hats' on after christmas as there's going to be a lot of newbies around asking for help.

Be prepared!

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Bring them on! We all started out as a newbie at one time or another.

The people that I have chatted with here on MR are the best IMO!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The more the merrier :)

...but if it's newbie+stupid, then the macros are coming out in force :D

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've helped numerous MacRumors Forums members - newbies or not. I'm very much willing to help some more. Hey, if my post helps someone out (and increases my post count :p ) I'm all for posting.

5. aus_dave macrumors regular

Everyone was a newbie once so let's show some Christmas tolerance :).

Those macros are pretty funny though so let's hope there is some stupidity in amongst it :D.

6. vgurl macrumors newbie

Merry Xmas from a Newbie!!!!

So here's my question. How long is it before I'm not a newbie anymore? I got my Powerbook in March. :D

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

According to the FAQ:

You have posted 14 times so far. At 30 you'll become a macrumors member. That means 16 more posts will upgrade you from newbie to member. To become a macrumors regular, you'll need to reach 100 posts. At 500, you'll become a macrumors 6502 and be able to have your own avatar. There are higher designations than 6502 (such as my own - macrumors 68040 - which is achieved at 3,000 posts).

8. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

We need newbies macros

I like eDesignUK's macros a lot...

Could you please make a macro for me?

Galadriel near her mirror, looking at the camera, with the text 'Thou must seek the one true 1gig crucial RAM stick'

I think this one will get used quite a lot ;)

Happy whatever!
    Palad1

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Sounds like a really good idea :).

10. vgurl macrumors newbie

LOL, didn't think anyone would actually answer that one :) Good to know that I gotta' be a postin' fool from here on out tho! :D

11. Bear macrumors G3

Actually if you post foolishly, the posts and possibly your forum account will get deleted. Specifically it says in the FAQ for the forum that one is not supposed to spam the forums to increase their post count to get status and such.

12. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

oh, so we want to try and be helpful...

*puts malicious applescripts away* :p

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I hear ya on that one, edesignuk! In fact, I'm getting somewhat excited about all the new newbies (redundant?) in 2005, as it's always just endless fun giving them a hard time (the stupid ones at least.) :cool:

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Me too, I'm always willing to help out. Or be a bastard. You know, whichever, it's all good...

As for the whole post count issue, I could care less what my ranking is, but I guess to some people it's important. Personally I have other things going on in my life so I don't need to spend every waking hour on MR trying to get to that next ranking - can't say that's a big goal or achievement for me. Some days I'll post 10 posts, other days, none, so whatever...

And then there are some people who seem to care a bit more and even mention their "macrumors 68040" status at 3000 posts later on in this thread, as if it's something to be proud of... :p ;) :cool:

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Exactly, and then there are those who put their pic in their profile, as if it's something to be proud of... :p ;)

Hehe, just messin' with you, merry Christmas btw. :)

Yeah, bring on the newbies, I always like to be of help or bash the annoying ones... whichever mood I'm in :D

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Touche'. ;) However, what's wrong with being proud of how I look? That photo was taken from a photo shoot I did a couple years ago. Although I just do it on the side for fun, as a model I do technically get paid to look good, so how many other people can say that? You? :p ;)

I can dish it out and I can take it, so no worries, in fact I appreciate it. :cool: The same wishes to you and yours as well Diatribe. :)

My sentiments exactly - whether it's assistance or ridicule, they all get what they deserve in the end... :cool:

17. derFunk macrumors newbie

oh, and here's one of those newbies now! I'm getting my questions in before the post-Christmas rush...;)

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

.. And your question then would be what, exactly? Or were you just posting for the sake of posting, in which case we should report you to the Mods for spamming? :p

(Once again, the whole "help vs. ridicule" thing - see how easy it is? :cool: )

19. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Here goes

Rule #1:
    never leave a bored programmer on a machine with graphics manipulation software installed.

Here goes nothing :)
    [​IMG]

20. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Thou must also heed the sage warning that 2 of the Blessed DIMM's are just solution for ye Apple Mac G5.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

<applause> Impressive, and on pretty short notice as well. I like the added touch of the Elven script as well - I'm sure the Elf people of Middle Earth had precise words for "RAM stick" and "Crucial.com"... ;)

22. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

That I don't know, although I'm pretty sure the elvish word for Airport Extrem is 'Palantiri' ;)

ps: thanks :)

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It should be interesting to see how many of the newbies are banned by the end of January.

I'm interested in what computers people are buying this holiday season. Will there be a lot of G5 iMacs or Powerbooks instead?

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Nothing. I wasn't referring to the way you look but rather the pic in your profile in general :D

Touché. You never know though, do you? ;)

Yeah, it's all fun and games, how it should be. :)

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That gives me an idea for the new iPod flash! Apple should devise a way to make the memory and components spherical, and make the iPod flash a ring! One ring to rule them all... :cool: