Preparing iMac for sale?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Christina1971, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2007
    I recently purchased a Macbook and so I need to do something with my G3/400 grape iMac; I don't have enough room to keep it. The problem is, the DVD-ROM drive is broken, so I can't figure out how I can erase the hard drive so that I can sell it. I was actually thinking about buying an external drive and then just selling that along with the whole system, but that doesn't seem like a very cost effective measure.

Should I just junk it? It seems like it has SOME life left in it for someone...I just want to be able to get my personal data off of it.
  2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    If it has Firewire, which it should, can't you just boot it up in Target Disk Mode with your MacBook? Then you can mount the iMac's drive on your laptop and delete/format/copy whatever you need.

All you need is a FW cable.
  3. Rychiar macrumors 6502

May 16, 2006
    Waterbury, CT
    u can erase via network, or external or hook up another computer/drive. yur better off just smashing it and throwing it out tho, its not worth anything. hell i wouldnt even bother selling my powermac g4. its just not worth the hassle
  4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

Saving the world. One Mac at a time.

5. Christina1971 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2007
    Well, then I'll donate it somewhere. There's got to be some charity that could make use of it. Not everyone has to have the latest and greatest.
  6. brokecollegeF04 macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2006
    if you can pull the logic board and hard drive ill take it along with the matching keyboard and mouse
  7. xtopher macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2007
    just make sure theres nothing "explicit" on there when/if you get rid of it. My bud bought an old scrap computer from the salvation army for parts and we took a look on the HD and suprise, suprise! wife, girlfriend, cousin? all i know is they werent wearin much! lol