Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernsandboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Hiya!

I am preparing to send my white iBook to a new owner -- I found a buyer for it and (sigh) I had to be emotionally ready to let go..haha...

But anyway, I need your opinions on HOW TO BEST PREP THE IBOOK FOR ITS NEW OWNER.

I've already removed my user account, created a generic user admin account, and deleted the disk image of my old user account.

I want to leave the applications installed on there -- all the extra things I've bought over the last couple years. Don't want to wipe that out.

The biggest prob IT SEEMS is that I don't know how to run the initial setup assistant as if someone was buying the iBook in the store and taking it home brand new.

Any ideas? It is a 600 mHZ G3 iBook, bought in Jan. 2002, running 10.2.8.

John Wasinski

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
You really should wipe the hard disk clean before you send it off. Do a low level format (where it actually overwrites all of the files on the disk).

Don't send any apps that are not freeware or unregistered shareware. It's illegal.

Wipe the hard disk, reinstall the OS and apps. Don't register the computer though.

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
Yep, just did this myself...had to part with my girl.

re-install os x (or whatever) from scratch, and what I found to be crude, but the way they do it (lol) is when the initial setup screens start up (y'know the catchy music, and the cool waterdropping blue background...err something) shut it down....that way when your buyer starts it up when they get it....it'll be just like getting it from the factory. Guess this is a double of the post above...but a little more info for ya????

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
There's actually some preference file or something you can edit or delete to make the setup assistant come back. I remember reading about it a few weeks ago here on the boards. I tried searching, but couldn't find it. Maybe someone remembers. Sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
clean install itself does not dostroy everything .. on the sense of making it all un-recuperable. but i dont believe the major part of the new ibook owners do care what kind of files you had in your home folder. just save what you need and delete everything .. then clean install.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
I just sold mine last week. My iMac 700 G4 too :(

Got us a new 12" PB tho...

Boot off your Jaguar CD. Launch Disk Utility (Under the Installer Menu). Do a format of the drive and select the Zero Out option. This over writes every bit of data on the machine.

Next install OS X. Then be a pal and quit out of the registration (CMD Q) when it asks you to give ur personal info. Make an acct, named admin with no password for now. Next do the software updates, get it all nice and current for the new owner.

Once all your updates are done, if you have it, use the Applications install disk or the Software Restore discs (I think with the 600 you might have the Software Restore discs). Once you've put all the apps back on, go into terminal and type the following:

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

That resets the registration screen to come up for the new user. Let he/she know they should go delete the user called Admin once they finish the setup.

I know this seems like alot of work but I always was impressed my the whole Out of the Box setup experience with Apple Computers so I wanted my Mac's new owner to have the same especially if they are "Switchers" or "New to a Mac"

Good luck!

macboyX

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Yeah, I just wanted to say that I was impressed that you were taking the time and care to make sure the new owner would enjoy their new purchase as though it were new. Most people would lump it in a box with any user manuals they could find after deleting their documents and email.

Mad props!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.