Preschoolers learn programming

Discussion in 'Community' started by superbovine, Aug 10, 2005.

1. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    I found this interesting...

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Interesting article.

I taught Logo to elementary school kids, using a set of macros to draw the basic shapes, rather than having them learn to repeat draw-turn-draw-turn sequences to draw the shapes themselves. So the only programming they did was to put steps in order, but that's the very first step in programming.

Most of the kids caught on very quickly. I was impressed. I had a contest where they drew any picture they liked with the shapes they had available. Some drew random shapes in random positions (abstract art?) but some really drew a particular picture they had in mind. I forget if I declared winners; I just remember that we printed the screens and they were all proud to have their printouts displayed in the hall display case. :)

We didn't discuss computer ethics. I find that kids are better able to discuss those topics in middle school, where one topic always comes up: whether it is OK to get commercial music online without paying just because "everybody does it".
  3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    It's fascinating how the teacher outlined the aptitudes by age. I was taught BASIC and something else (maybe Logo and/or Turtle) on an Apple //c back in the first grade (maybe 1980 or 1981).