Preserving Modifcation Date in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jesuisme, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jesuisme macrumors member

Dear All,

I have a USB Flash Drive that I copy files to often. However, if I use Finder to drag a file from my hard disk to the USB drive, the modification date on the new copy of the file changes to the current date. I know that I can go to Terminal and use "cp -p", but I'd like to enable this functionality in Finder. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    jesuisme

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The file on the USB drive is being created that current day. That is why it shows up as being made the day you copied it. Why is it so imparative to keep the date from the original file?

3. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

First of all, thanks for the response.

Keeping the original date is one way to determine the last time you worked on a file without having to open it and look for dates, comments, or other hints. It also keeps the integrity of documents you may want to give to others. If the file is two years old, I may not want it to look like it was created today (even though it's easy to fake this).

The original date also gives you a quick way to visually determine if versions of the files have changed, i.e., if the size and the modification date are the same, chances are the file hasn't changed -- this helps in the case of backups.

Any suggestions on how to keep the same modification date?

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24099

Product Description:
    RhinoTyper is a small utility for Mac OS X that allows to edit the file types and creator codes of files. Version 1.1 adds the ability to change creation and modification dates.

Versiontracker.com can find you anything you need.