President Bush tells abortion foes that their cause is 'noble'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=a_QjqCRVgpec&refer=us

All I can say is ugh. :mad:

How many more months of this slack-jawed reprobate do you guys have to put up with?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

too many to want to know BV.

something needs to be done about this guy. really.

3. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I've lost count.

I so wish we could have a vote of no confidence like what happened to Paul Martin and the Liberal Party in Canada.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Too bad the president can't be pregnant (The Pregidant?). He'd probably change his mind quickly.

I wonder if he agrees with those abortion foes who decided to use much stronger ammunition.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

aproximately 34:(

I hear John Hinkley is getting more unsupervised home visits.......

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I find it odd that a head of state can be so outspoken and partisan on a matter such as this. Over here, leading politicians would be extremely cagey about making their views publicly known on this matter.

I guess that it comes down to shoring up and mobilising your support-base.

7. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I dont think he ever mentioned the word "abortion" and "Noble cause" in the same sentence. But we all know what he meant. Its all in the wording.
    People are pretty hard believers on both sides of this case. I wouldnt be surprised if something or someone crazy goes down on this matter. I feel like the pot is starting to boil....:eek:

8. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

We already did something... we reelected him :cool:

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i didn't vote for him. either time. i tried.

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I heard some people in Ohio voted for him 3 or 4 times:D

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think that's it exactly. i'm sure bush would love nothing more than a poll boost leading up to the january 31 state of the union address.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Well, hey. The fundamentalist right is currently in a frenzy. They've only got two more years to press their agenda, maybe less if '06 goes wrong for them.

Let them burn themselves out trying to turn back the clock. They can make things uncomfortable for the rest of us, maybe, for a while. But they've overstepped themselves and the country is starting to wake up. We're not buying this "poor, abused Christians" story.

Now if we could just get some fearless leadership from the Dems, we'd be okay. It won't take much to stymie the nutcases, but you can see everytime that a Democrat goes up against a Republican on "values", he's got a tin ear and no balls.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Neither did I. He's a fool. And we are reaping the benefits of our error. Unfortunately, so is the rest of the world.

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    "every human life has value"--except of course those humans who may live in countries we choose to bomb. or those we choose to torture to death in remote prisons.

"the strong have a duty to protect the weak"--except if they happen to be poor and black and live in areas below sea level. or if they are poor and can't afford proper health care...or decent education...or decent nutrition.

"the self-evident truths of the Declaration of Independence apply to everyone"--except when those truths are civil liberties such as phone calls free of wiretapping, freedom from extraordinary rendition or propaganda fueled smear campaigns.

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Charges were brought up on Clinton for getting rid of... some stress let's say and someone like Bush who does more damage than good in many areas is able to remain. We all know what his boys (friends) have done as well. This seems to be a trend and a pretty crappy one at best. More people with power in government (the US) as of late just can't keep the crap in their mouth any longer, then wonder why people are upset with their comments :rolleyes:

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... I wonder why he didn't show up in person, what with the pimp rides he's got at his disposal.

Get those media advance guys out there with some fancy backdrops and those nice powerful lights that make him look so good. A classic Bush speech to give us that good sound bite for the news shows to play.

Perhaps a side trip to tell us all how safe we are because the NSA listens to keep us all free from harm. That no innocent Americans had their conversations listened in on 'inadvertently'. For sure no war protesters, or Democratic candidates or operatives, or other 'opposition' members, of course not.

Lots of flags, some soldiers... maybe a picture of Alito on a 'Mission Accomplished' banner...

It is a noble cause after all. ;)

17. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Wa wa wa... then I guess he's not your president :rolleyes:

18. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Reprobate ... in the land of Bushspeak that would be the rebate back on the purchase of a new MacBook Pro.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You still support him, after all the damage he's done to your country's standing in the world? What would he have to do to lose your support, I wonder?:confused:

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i bet if bush disbanded congress, reduced the courts to rubber stamping machines, called off all future elections and declared himself king for life, a solid 30% of americans would support that.

would that include you, mr sorel?

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He's supposed to be, but he keeps doing these things that wind up making everything worse. Thank you for keeping the debate civil though. I guess we aren't as noble for our opinions.

Anyway, the abortion thing is great to rally the troops, but won't work for them in the long run. If they ever did actually overturn Roe v. Wade there would be an uproar and a huge backlash. I'm pretty uncomfortable about the whole abortion thing, but I can't imagine the alternative. It's one of those necessary evils that we need social change to help, not just more nonsensical laws. Good luck on them trying though. They can take their whole hypocritical administration down with them. At least the rhetoric helps their base feel better about themselves if it is all talk.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks to me that the republicans are trying to stir up the abortion debate due to the scandals and all the crooks in the republican party these days. Im sorry but with so many issues and problems we are facing abortion is way down the list for me. If republicans think they are going to run again with this as their major issue i think they be in for a surprise. This issue was settled years ago in my book. We have bigger problems as a nation at the moment and thats a rotton Congress along with a president who wants to spy,torture and ignore law.

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Im going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are a Republican:confused:

You seem to wear that like a badge of honor:eek:

My three year old walks around with that same bravado and proundness after he takes a $#1+;)

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And just think, it'll only take 30 - 40 years to fix the SCOTUS!

Of course, if Roe v Wade IS overturned it will be a long time before a religious conservative gets elected president again on a platform of putting in more justices like Scalia and Thomas. The GOP knows this, but they are in a trap of their own making. We saw the extreme right go into an uproar over the previous nominee when her abortion bona-fides came into question.

Same problem the GOP has created for themselves on taxes -- the only way taxes go is down in their playbook. But what happens when taxes go to zero? Or so low that there isn't enough revenue to provide the service level the public demands?

D'oh. But again, it will be decades before the damage from this administration can be undone. And if the Dems can't get it together in '08 the SCOTUS will have a solid extreme activist right wing majority...

25. aquajet macrumors 68020

Heh...well look at that. Aren't you one of those who blasted me for throwing that word around? :p