President Bush's Interview

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I didn't see the interview, has anyone else? Here's an article from the BBC.

link

What concerns me is Bush's insistence that he's a wartime president and that the country should act as if it's at war. He seems to be using this excuse to run up military spending while starving other domestic spending.

Also, he seems to think the only definition of American "power" is the use of our military. This, I think, is a dangerous way to look at the world -- everyone is our enemy and our only control over them comes from our military might. Thinking like that, war is the only solution to any problem.

However, I'm almost starting to believe that Bush isn't the root of all evil, that he's simply out of his league and being advised by bloodthirsty animals.

Any thoughts?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: President Bush's Interview

out of his league? he's been peter-principled all the way to the top. i can only think the last time he was in his league was as a drunken frat boy (and even that was at a university he wouldn't have been admitted to under normal circumstances).

3. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I saw it.

Tim Russert just destroyed him...and as an objective, nonpartisan journalist, that wasn't even Russert's intention.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

does that mean that bush destroyed himself? (i haven't seen the interview)

5. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Pretty much.

I mean, hardcore Republicans will deny this...and hardcore Democrats will put their own partisan slant on it.

But if you distance yourself from it all ideologically and politically, and LISTEN to the interview -- the questions Russert asked and the answers Bush gives -- it's just embarrassing for Bush. Sometimes he dodged questions, and other times he admitted to flip flips, failures, etc. He wasn't even terribly slick about his gaffes, in my opinion.

Yeah I think he destroyed himself. But then again, I have for quite some time now thought the guy's done a really lousy job and run about the worst foreign policy the U.S. has seen since before Harry Truman. (Vietnam had bigger implications because of its scope, but at least it was in the context of a different geopolitical environment in which it was the U.S. and allies of capitalism versus the Soviet Union and allies of communism...at least then there was some SENSE to why we did it.)

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

:D I'd hoped he would show his true colors in the interview. Anytime he isn't reading from a cue card he sounds like an idiot.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i figured out the base reason bush and i disagree on just about everything.

from here
    i disagree. i say it's to defend the constitution.

8. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Whoa....you think he can read?

9. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I think this interview is evidence of some of the difficulties Bush is going to have in this upcoming election cycle - you can just tell flat out he's not comfortable unscripted with the media when they are asking him tough questions (although I think his shining moment as President came during his unscripted response to the 9-11 attacks, when he broke down in front of the cameras and showed some real emotion).

The dude is not a fan of question-answer sessions, to say the least. How many press conferences has he had - what is it, like 3 or so? And everytime he does it's with the same, handpicked, administration friendly reporters. He's going to have a hard time once a lot of those hard-hitting questions that have been acumulating over his presidency start actually getting asked during the inevitable press circus that surrounds any major election.

Davis

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Good point... but he must because once in a blue moon he can make a statement without sounding like an idiot. I can only guess it is because he can read. Perhaps the statements are written at the 2nd grade level?

11. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I imagine he'll play this the way I would if I were him: by minimizing those kinds of situations.

Don't expect any more than three presidential debates, despite how much the Democratic nominee will want more than that.

Don't expect Q&A media, because that's not going to happen (unless GWB suddenly finds himself down substantially). Expect every attempt to maintain the status quo while letting the financial juggernaut raise money to do good-feeling TV ads and ads that slam the Democratic nominee.

12. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I'm sure this will be his strategy, but he won't be able to avoid the media entirely during this election cycle. His avoidance may work to some extent, but people are going to expect him to come out of his cocoon a bit more. This interview was the second unscripted encounter with media in which he made a bit of an ass of himself in less than two weeks - the first being that awkward exchange at that Ribs place. It's already started.

Davis

13. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

You heard about that too, eh?

14. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

The funniest part of the whole thing was when Russert held up the Time magazine with the "love him, hate him" thing.

Also, did anyone catch the point-blank skull n bones question? For those who don't know, both Kerry and Bush are members of one of the most secretive organizations on the planet. Every member winds up running some section of the government.

Hmmm. Bones vs. Bones. I guess they can't lose.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bush didn't even say he was a "wartime president." He said he was a "war president." Now, there's an interesting choice of words.

16. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

The Skull and Bones question was hilarious. Bush's answer to it was the one time during the interview I stopped being pissed off and smiled. Very funny...

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i hadn't heard about this. what is it?

18. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

19. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i watched the interview and i thought Russert did a superb job. each of his questions contained factual information that left bush very little wiggle room...so bush just ducked most of them....relying on well-rehearsed scripts.

and i agree, his " i am a war president " and " i make decisions here in the oval office in foreign policy matters with war on my mind"....are quite telling of his mindset.

Russerts use of reference materials was also nice...once again, bush chose not to talk about the facts. bush obviously prefers to look at the 'big' picture without any concept of the realities of implementation or ramifications.

also, he seemed VERY certain that his "military"( sheesh...) records couldn't be found regardless of the years people have spent looking for them. NTM, he clearly sees nothing conspicuous with his leaving the service early to attend harvard.

his sense of entitlement is galling. if it wasn't for his dad he'd be just another failed oilman living the life of a drunkard in a midland trailer park.

hightower said it best " bush was born on third, and thinks he hit a triple..."

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

genius. GENIUS.

i see now that krugman has no idea what he's talking about.

21. wwworry macrumors regular

Plus he said he released his air national gaurd records in 2000 when he didn't. Maybe it's his own intelligence that's bad and not the CIA's.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

released to whom? his dad's pres library, alongside all his now inaccessible governor records?

SHAMEFUL

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Scorecard from the interview....

24. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Politicians lie. They always have, and always will. Liars fill both sides of the aisle.

Rep's are sure dem's are evil, and Dem's are sure rep's are evil. One of the two must be lying.

Maybe it's a little of both.

Hence the saying, "Don't vote, you'll just encourage them" (origin unknown).

One things for sure, I'm going to vote for the skull and bones member!;)

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for the post, mactastic. how any reasonable person can review the evidence and chalk it up to 'politicians always lie' is beyond me.

they get away w/ it because we let them.