Presidential News Conference

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mason, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Mason macrumors regular

Let me first state that I am not a fan of Mr. Bush. However, this is rather painfull to watch. He doesn't answer the tough questions and is basically non-responsive to any question which challenges any of his previous judgments. I can't imagine this conference will be well-received. I'm curious as to whether this will hurt his standing with some of the people who were unsure of him and his policies.

Also, did he say "I'm disappointed in some of the troops"!?!?

2. pooky macrumors 6502

I too am very surprised at the low quality of the president's responses. If he doesn't shape up his impromtu speaking skills, Kerry will rip him apart in the debates.

But I have to say, I'm proud of the press corps for growing some spines. I was afraid that they'd give him an easy ride, as they've been known to do.

3. vwcruisn macrumors regular

i like when he was asked why he would testify to the 911 commission together with cheeny (as opposed to seperately as the commision requested) he basically answered.. uhh were going to answer questions. When the reporter called him on it, stating that was not his question, bush again danced around it and basically stated the same thing.. to answer questions.

Also, I loved when he got called on by a reporter if he would appoligize to the families of 911 for any failure that might have occured. He basically said it was bin laden that did it, and therefore refused to appoligize for the loss of the 3000 US victims.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Of all the muddled presentations I've seen Bush give, this was by far the most disorganized. The question about what mistakes he might have made brought the most astonishing response of all. He seemed genuinely confused to have been asked the question and actually admitted to nearly as much. All of the questions which went to his qualities of leadership were fielded in a similarly vague and inept manner.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Aw crap. I missed the whole thing. Got home as Dubya turned his back and walked away from the podium. Maybe I'll get to see a replay. Heard he again claimed that questioning his leadership aids our enemy, a charge that will be leveled more and more forcefully between now and November.

6. wwworry macrumors regular

He said he does not make mistakes. What a bonehead! How come no asked him about the fact that Ossama is still on the loose and a third of Afghanistan is under control of various warloards, opium production is way up and the taliban are on the rebound?

Than that talk of God calling on American to invade. That's sure to win the hearts and minds of Muslims everywhere.

7. IIvan macrumors regular

Wow

I couldn't believe what a poor presentation Bush gave. He speech was very droll, evoking god, mentioning JUNE 30TH a bunch, and generally just restating what he always said.

BUT THE Q&A PART! He was terrible! He avoided every question, dancing around them in a such a manner that not one set of hands clapped the entire time. He talked much, and said nothing. When asked simple Yes or No kinc of questions, he went off on tangents, often leaving the people I was with to say "...eh, what was the question again??" He was being very evasive and would not admit, even when asked forcefully several times, any wrongdoing. Also, he stumbled and seemed genuinely confused.

NOT a good showing by our nearly majority approved leader... :(

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have to admit while watching this thing that I was feeling embarrassed for the President and even wondering whether he was sober. It was altogether very strange and disturbing.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for the impressions; i missed the whole thing. watching ted koppel right now, seems the press' feeling is not dissimilar to the above.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I read through some of the transcript at whitehouse.gov

This gem portends the campaign strategy: if you don't go to out to war and kill people, we'll be attacked at home again.

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Yes. But it was aimed at the Iraqi police that ran and did not fight the insurgents. Essentially, aimed at the people that made a promise to do a job, but when push came to shove, ran away instead.

12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Go to www.cspan.org

13. Mason thread starter macrumors regular

Ah. I was only half listening at that point and didn't hear whatever he had said before that. Thanks.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sort of like getting strings pulled to go into the Air National Guard to avoid a draft?

15. IIvan macrumors regular

Did anyone else notice how he entered the room, no one applauded, no one appluaded any of his points, even the ones he paused after, one laugh was heard when he forgot a reporters name, was questioned severely, and left again in silence?

Maybe the press is tired of how he ****s with them

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Dang, sounds like I missed a show.

Headed over to cnn.com to check it out....

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I think if you talk to a few National Guard soldiers/air-men and accuse them of joining up in order to avoid the draft, you might just come back with a few loose teeth in the process.

Guard units and Reservists are more deployable than draftees. Fresh draftees require Basic Training, and Advanced Individual Training before they are considered deployable, especially to a combat unit.

Guard units, and Reservists would have already had their Basic Training requirement taken care off, and are probably in the midst of AIT, much more along the process to becoming deployable.

Somehow, its gotten hold in the public consciousness that joining the reserve components of the military is akin to avoiding military service. If anything, its volunteering to go ahead of the draft! :eek:

Sure, some people volunteer and join the National Guard or Reserve units, and get into programs that require a longer period of training than the 11Bravo draftee (infantry soldier), but the fact that people are needed to be trained for the 11Foxtrot3Hotel (F-16 pilot) for the National Guard means that some other National Guard F-16 pilot has already been called up and is serving in active duty.

Guess who is the next F-16 pilot to be called up when more are needed in the fight?

Some of us were serving in the Reserves during the Gulf War I. We were under no illusion that if the fight were to turn sour that we would be the next to go, ahead of the civilian that hasn't been drafted yet. I suggest that you put the brain into gear before engaging the mouth/fingers. :mad: :mad: :mad:

18. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I don't like the man or trust him as far as I could throw him, but I think his opening statement was effective. He is a horrible speaker, but he delivers his simplistic lines earnestly. If he had stopped there it would have been a success for the White House. Unfortunately for him, the Press Corps asked some pointed question and his inability to think on his feet or have a command of issues that he should know inside and out was exposed. His famous smirk also came out again in the Q&A. All in all a bad night for Bush.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

How many Texas Air National Guardsmen were deployed to Viet Nam?

Before you get so sanctimoniously pissed, answer the above question.

20. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    finally some tough questions...not that he answered them...

he came across as a sociopath hell-bent on spreading the gospel of bush regardless of the human cost....or "dead bodies on tv" as he so eloquently put it.

he is too simplistic to know that bragging about handing out purple hearts just enforces the perception that we're in another vietnam.

how this silver-spooned posterboy of entitlement can expound about the high price of the freedom he never defended is beyond me...

edit: and frohicky...give it a rest will ya. you know the issue isn't about the reserves...it's about bush's jumping line to get into it, training in an aircraft not usually used in vietnam, then brokering a deal to get out early. sheesh.

21. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

He also said Saadam supported "suiciders" among other things and had a rich piece on how the UN supported the US and how the US "went in and took care of business."

Bravo, Dubya. Bravo.

22. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I thought W did a pretty decent job, but I was listening on the radio. The press kept throwing him curves and fastballs, and it sounded like he was hitting most of them back.

Did anyone notice the change in his attitude toward the end. He seemed to say "I'm the president, damnit, and I refuse to back down. If you don't like it, see you in november".

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Applied to Bush and Vietnam, that is the most illogical argument I've ever heard. It's like some bad time travel movie.

24. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

How many Air National Guardsmen were deployed to Vietnam?
    None from Texas.

Are you saying that the next time we are in a war, that in order to give the appearance that no one is shirking their duty, that the whole military be deployed, with NO ONE STAYING BEHIND?!!! Oh, I forget, we'll protect the whole country using militia. Oh, but wait, don't you support disarming people because they are not militia (read Second Amendment present particle), but now they can be armed when they are militia, but only when they are called up, because its the right of the militia, and its really a state's right. Forget the words right of the people.

(end_sarcasm)

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Can you post a link to the transcript? This press conference included some classic Bushisms.