Presidential Signing statements

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

There is a very good article over at Findlaw by John Dean about Bush's use of Presidential Signing statements to aggregate more and more power in the office of the President. It is worth the time to read, especially after Bush's performance at the signing of the McCain amendment against torture. Here's a sample.

and further,

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that would be 1998, mr dean.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

and here i thought Clinton was supposed to be the penultimate word mincer. but by golly, give Bush a law that interferes with his quest for absolute power, i mean, the war on terror, and he minces with the best of 'em.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

don't mean to be a jerk, but is penultimate really the word you intended to use?

5. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

That would be "next to the last word mincer"? Makes sense to me. That means Bush's Daddy was the antepenultimate word mincer. ;)

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nice word!

that gets to my question assuming penultimate was intended: who was the ultimate word mincer before gw bush took the title?

7. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If we're using the word to mean "last in a series" I'm guessing that makes Clinton the ultimate word mincer before Dubya became President and moved him back to penultimate status. Problem is that the word "ultimate" has various meanings, but comes from the latin meaning "coming at the end." The words "penultimate" or "penult" and "antepenultimate," or antepenult" are words used in conjunction with ultimate to describe what comes right before the end and what comes right before that. Unfortunately, some folks think "penultimate" must mean something like "beyond the greatest," when it has no such meaning. These terms come in very useful when studying ancient greek and trying to figure out which syllable has the accent. All accents must fall on one of the three. If you're trying to describe degrees of prominence they are useless. Sorry, for the digression, but you started it, zim! ;)

Oh, and with profound apologies to Thanatoast who deserves much better treatment of his post.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's what i assumed was meant, meaning that "penultimate" should have been "ultimate." which is why i asked. i'm confused!

oh, sure, blame the victim!

:D

9. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Did you seriously think I'd take the blame?

Should I try to clear up any confusion or will I just make more of a mess?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

only 'toast can clear up what he really meant.

11. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

A much saner source, to be sure. ;)

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Blessed be dictionary.com and it's sister publication, thesaurus.com

zim is right, I didn't want penultimate, i wanted ultimate, but have since decided on "unequalable". So the post shall now read;

and here i thought Clinton was supposed to be the unequalable word mincer. but by golly, give Bush a law that interferes with his quest for absolute power, i mean, the war on terror, and he minces with the best of 'em.

apologies for the confusion. :eek:

as for the substance of the post, i understand that it's scary to think about a president that twists law and language to his own nefarious (i checked that one :D ) purpose, which is why i forgive you all for mincing my words :p

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

good word!

:D

14. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

thank you, I shall sleep better tonight knowing I'm forgiven. You're a better man than I, 'toast! ;)