Pretty disappointed with the MBP....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dancertom3, Feb 3, 2007.

1. dancertom3 macrumors member

Ok. Don't get me wrong. I am in LOVE with this computer. Best laptop I've ever owned..

But I'm getting the spinning beach ball of death ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!!! Even just now, when I loaded Mozilla Firefox, it popped up for like half a second!

Is this normal???

Here are my specs:

2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2Gb Ram
    160Gb HDD
    15" Glossy :)) )

I have about 5,000 songs in iTunes. 10,000+ pictures stored on both this laptop and my external firewire 800 drive.

I don't understand why I'm seeing this stupid beach ball all the time!!! This computer is fast enough to handle it, and the memory is pretty sufficient without paying $800 for the 2Gb stick of ram.

Oh and then it did it again! Right then! I was switching between tabs and it came up for around a second! And I've only got iTunes open!! Grr!!!

This is not what I was expecting...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This should not be happening. Try repairing permissions (in the disk utility app)

3. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

The worst program I use in my MBP is FireFox. It's horrible. I get the beachball almost all the time. :mad:

4. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

and check your activity monitor for any excessive processes

5. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Happens with Firefox sometimes. There's nothing wrong with the MBP.

6. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

It's not just firefox though. It's iTunes, it's Aperture, it's iPhoto, it's Photobooth...

I checked Disk Permissons, and it found something that wasn't quite right! So it's all repaired now..thanks for the tip!

We'll see how it goes, but I'm a little sceptical.

And, as before, I still LOVE this computer. It's just bugging me.

7. NickFury macrumors member

Is the MBP in 'better battery life' or 'better performance'?

Click on the battery icon and change the power profile and see if that helps at all.

8. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

It's on 'Normal'. Would you recommend 'Better Performance'?

And surely, the battery wouldn't have anything to do with programs and processes stalling...

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

By changing that setting you use the processor at a higher power, that's why it's in the Energy Settings. If you don't need the power, you can scale it back a little.

10. Pr0jkt macrumors regular

download a app called applejack its exactly what the doctor ordered!

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hopefully AppleJack will solve your problem. It definitely shouldn't be happening to you. I have a 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook and almost never get a spinning beach ball.

12. dylan macrumors 6502

Do you just get it when Firefox is running? If so is it an official build? Do you have any powerpc processes running?

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It shouldn't be happening.

I'd even try checking "About This Mac" and seeing if your computer actually recognizes the 2 GB of RAM. Maybe something is loose and it's not recognizing it.

Actually, it shouldn't happen even with 1 GB of RAM, so I can't really suggest anything other than to try Disk Utility again (don't just do it once), or try using Techtools if you have AppleCare (is it still included with AppleCare?).

14. dreamfocused macrumors member

dreamfocused

I only have 1GB in my MBP and it doesn't give me that often, but I seriously need more RAM...

15. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it's an official build. And no, not just firefox. Going to dashboard, or using the Hot Corners, or opening any program basically...

And yeah, it's recognising the 2GBRAM.

I'll try TechTools and see how I go...

16. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

OK Now I'm starting to get really frustrated.

Ran Disk Utility several times..all fine.

Inserted the ACPP TechTools disc, and it didn't even appear on my desktop! And when I hit the disc eject button, nothing happens, coz it doesn't even know that there's a disc in there!!!!! :mad: :confused:

What the hell is going on here??? I'm staring to think that my MBP is DoA! It arrived 5 days ago, and all this is happening. And the really annoying thing is that I'm going overseas in 2 weeks, so I don't even know if I can get all this fixed before I leave!! GRRR!!!

EDIT: It's ok now, the cd loaded..we'll see how we go.

17. dreamfocused macrumors member

dreamfocused

i've had a disc that wouldn't eject... the way to eject it is to restart and press the eject button after the BOONNNGG

18. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok. So I go the disc out. Re-inserted. Tried to open the Start Guide .pdf. "ERROR - This file could not be opened."

Tried to open the TechTool Deluxe Installer..TWICE...first time, nothing...Second time, it appears in the dock, with a black triangle under it. But nothing.

And it's Sunday, so AppleCare is CLOSED. How convenient!

19. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Ran applejack. So far, so good. But I don't want to jinx anything...

Gonna run the programs that I was using before and see what happens.

I DID get the spinning bbod at startup when MSN Messenger was loading, but I expect that that would be MSN Messenger's fault...?

20. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

have you considered using Adium?

21. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Do a archive and install to get a clean new system. This shouldnt be happening at all

22. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Heck, even my 15'' Powerbook does not beachball with Firefox - there is definitely a problem with your particular machine...

23. NickFury macrumors member

Does the issue still happen when the firewire HD is unplugged?

Just curious?

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

You keep escalating the issues. Take the MBP in to have it checked. No need to post another thing. This is going sideways. Apple has sold millions of them without having issues. If you are one of the unfortunate few, they will make things right.

25. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

Ok! A Happy Ending!!! *phew*

I ran AppleJack, and since then, everything's been as sweet as pie! Everything is working perfectly, and at blazing speeds!! Aperture can handle my (reasonably) large image library with its eyes closed and one hand behind its back!

I haven't had the spinning bbod since! I have no idea what was going on before! Maybe the system just got bogged down with all my new app installations and music/image/video libraries being copied and what not!

Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions in my time of need! :eek: Much appreciated!!! You've saved yet another Mac user's sanity! :D Hahaha!

Cheers everyone!:)