Prevent Clearing History in Safari ???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by setfree, May 31, 2005.

1. setfree macrumors newbie

May 31, 2005
    Is there a way to prevent users from clearing the history in Safari? If not, is there another way to track the users URLS they have visited?

In Internet Explorer PC, there is a registry 'hack' thats greys out the History Options. I am looking for something similar in Safari.

Thank you for any insight.

2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Not sure if this is possible or not, although in Tiger I know there are ways to modify the menu items. I suppose you could write a script to automatically copy user's history files to a server somewhere.

Are you having issues with people abusing your internet service? Why don't you simply implement a firewall with rules to prevent them from accessing certain sites (make sure MR isn't on that list ;)).

BTW - don't you think your user name is a little ironic, given the nature of your request? ;) :p
  3. setfree thread starter macrumors newbie

May 31, 2005

Our company has a cross platform network, mostly PC's and a few Macs. We want don't want to impliment a filtered firewall. We do want to be able to, if needed, see what URL's a user has visited. This is just a precaution in case problems or accusations occur, then we can verify what the user has done.

This has been easy to do on the PC's, but as of yet, I have been unable to do this on the Macs. I thought about copying the history file to the server, but the user could still wipe it out before the backup takes place.

BTW- I suppose the name seems iconic :) but it is a spiritual reference to my bondage to sin.

Thanks for the input~
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    How about using Firefox? I don't claim to be any sort of a programmer, but I imagine it wouldn't be very hard to go into the source and remove the items from the menu.

Or what about changing permissions on the directory where the history is stored to allow writing but not deleting?

Again, I'm no programmer, so I have no idea how hard any of this would be to implement.