Prevent erasing of history?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 21, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    A friend of mine is having some trouble with his younger brother erasing his history. He said it was the third time this week. He also says he doesn't really care to find out why, he just uses his history to return to sites often.

Is there any way to prevent the primary user from erasing history or a way to recover deleted history? On Windows I remember a registry hack that greys out the erase history button. (He's using Safari).
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    I don't think this can be done specifically through Safari, but perhaps there is something within Parental Controls, if you guys are on different users. But it sounds like you are using the same account, so you may be out of luck. Perhaps there is a 3rd party app for this.
  3. beefy23 macrumors member

Feb 13, 2007
    If it's causing that much grief - separate user accounts is the way to go.
  4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    Not 100% sure, but IF history is recorded in a folder somewhere, adjust the permissions so that the folder can not be modified.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I thought the same thing at first, but then I thought it'd mean the files can't be written to either, kinda negating the point of the history in the first place. :eek:

I agree that Fast User Switching may be the answer.
  6. tooz macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2009
    but isn't the question why he needs to erase the history in the first place:p
  7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    Maybe while he's at it can he erase some of the embarrassing moments I had in the 8th grade?