Prevent MBP from sleeping when lid is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Mar 25, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

What's the most simple way of going about this? I've looked at various hacks on Google, but they seem quite complex and involve using 3rd party software etc.

Why would I want to do this? I occasionally move room to room with my laptop, and when I do so, I have to be careful how I carry the laptop since the lid is open. Was much easier to do this when I could just close the lid, like on my old Windows laptop.

Ta.

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I would not reccomend using any third party software to stop Macs going to sleep. I have used a few, cant remember the names of them but they ruined the sleep patterns of my MBP. It wouldn go to sleep at all. Either stayed on or just went into deepsleep whenever it felt like it. Best thing to do is just turn down the screen til its off really unless Apple can do something about it

3. McGiord, Mar 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

setup your Energy Saver Preferences

Go to System Preferences, click on the light bulb icon Energy Saver and tweak your settings as you want it to behave with 'Settings for: Battery'.
    ________
    Duraspark

4. konfuzion macrumors member

from what I remember, it can't be done. I haven't used any 3rd party software but I wanted to keep it from sleeping so that I could use it in my car to playback music while the lid was closed.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It does in fact require a third-party application. InsomniaX is a good free one. (InsomniaX was broken on Intel machines for a long time as a result of the 10.4.8 update, but my understanding is that it now works with all machines, including ones running 10.4.9.)

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Plug in a USB mouse, the laptop will wake up. It will soon go to sleep again, but will wake every time the mouse is moved or clicked.

Not sure what the problem is with sleeping when the lid is closed, though. The waking process takes all of a second, even on my old PowerBook.

7. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Interestingly, I tried InsomniaX on my TiBook that I use as a server, and the machine still would not stay awake. I wanted to have it in clamshell mode so that it takes less room. Maybe I'll open it up and move the magnets around so that they do not contact and think the lid is closed.

8. Skrilla™ macrumors regular

I think there is a big problem here, like the OP says, he doesn't want the laptop to go to sleep when he carried it from room to room. Sometimes you may want to keep the laptop on so you can download something, now you are getting your screen and keyboard full of extra dust, etc... because the wireless internet shuts off when it is closed - very bad 'feature' if you want to call it that. This is something Apple needs to fix.

In the meantime, I will check out InsomniaX.

9. konfuzion macrumors member

Can anyone confirm that InsomniaX works on updated intel macs

10. hijohnmark macrumors newbie

Get Caffeine

I haven't tried this method, but it should work:

1. Download Caffeine. It basically allows you to keep your Mac from falling asleep in any circumstance (plugged or unplugged) with the simple click of a coffee cup icon that appears in your status bar.

2. Activate Caffeine.

3. Shut your laptop (it will fall asleep, Caffeine doesn't interfere with this)

4. Plug in a USB mouse (or other USB device that draws power) and your computer will "wake up."

In theory, since Caffeine is activated, your computer shouldn't fall back asleep again even though your computer is closed. OS X might have something that overrides this, but I don't see how/why this would be the case as long as Caffeine is running. Also, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to use this method to play music, unless the program automatically resumes playback.

11. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

You realize this thread is 2.5years old?

If you have an external monitor and keyboard/mouse attached all you have to do is wake the computer up with the keyboard and it will work, not sure about it working without another display though.

12. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

Yup, works fine now.

HOWEVER

If your'e doing anything stressful, DON'T use it. It'll run your laptop very loud and very hot - I had it running clamshell at work with external kvm with vmware and a couple other things and it went mental

yes it does, and when it's closed I can still use WiFi