Preventing Installs in 9.1, 9.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sethwerkheiser, Jan 21, 2005.

1. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just posted a question on here regarding OS 9.1 & 9.2. We have this computer lab here at a university and some of the machines are old - I'm typing this now on a Power Macintosh 8600/300! Yikes. I'm a recent switcher (see my sig) and the other folks in our department don't have a whole lot of experiance in OS 9 and stuff.... and yes - I know we should upgrade to OS X - we're doing that this summer - I HOPE! (please send us a room full of G5 towers, please send us a room full of G5 towers! hehe)

so my final question is this - how do we prevent users from installing AOL IM? Is there something quick and dirty we can do to "lock down" these computers? This is maybe the dirtiest part of these labs, and we wanna stop it, ya know? And no - we don't have user accounts. Anyone can walk into this room, turn on the machine and go... and I'm not sure they want to go the "login" route. [sigh] Thanks for reading this far
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The most recent version of MacOS 9 that your PM 8600/300 will run is MacOS 9.1. It will not run MacOS 9.2. This is no big thing because MacOS 9.2 is a compatibility upgrade, but added no new features to MacOS 9.1. As for preventing the installation of AIM, you should implement user accounts. Do not allow alterations to the System Folder by any user but yourself. There is no such thing as a transparent restriction.