Preview.app Problem in Tiger!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MajereXYU, Jul 14, 2005.

1. MajereXYU macrumors regular

Hello.

Since updating to Tiger 10.4 - 10.4.1 and 10.4.2, Preview.app isn't doing its job properly.

First, I had to manually change the "open with" section of the "get info" dialog for all of my image file types.

That means I had to tell .jpg .gif .png etc. images to open with Preview.app instead of Colorsync Utility. WTF?

Then, when in the Finder, if I navigate to a folder containing images, in Panther it would show me thumbnail previews of my images (with appropriate checkbox ticked) whereas in Tiger, (like I said any version from 10.4 - 10.4.2) it doesn't.

It is pretty annoying to open 100 different pictures to find the one you are looking for when you are accustomed to just looking for its thumbnail preview...

I tried repairing permissions, scoured all over Preview.app's preferences etc.

Please help me re-associate picture files with Preview.app so I can be able to see thumbnails when in the Finder.

Thanks!

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

In finder go to view>show view options (or hit command+J, in finder) and then select the show icon preview box

Attached Files:

3. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

A good way to preview images in Tiger is to highlight the images you want to view in Finder, right-click on them and then select the slideshow option in the contextual menu. The index sheet view is awesome. :cool:

4. MajereXYU thread starter macrumors regular

First, I did select the show preview option in Finder.
    It didn't do an difference.

And second, when I select images in Finder and then right click them, I don't get the "Slideshow" option.

Something is weird. It's like Preview's integration in Tiger is broken on my system.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, I don't think that, the one time I played with the slideshow, I realized there was that overlay menu at the bottom. That index view *is* amazing. :) They should get iPhoto rocking something similar! :D

6. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

see this thread for complete problem description:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=134514

7. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Some image files don't work with the Slideshow option. .png, .jpg and .jpeg files work but for some reason .pdf files don't work. :confused:

8. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I was thinking the exact same thing. iLife '06?

9. MajereXYU thread starter macrumors regular

By the way Zakatov, that did the trick.

I don't know what caused the problem but I sure know now how to resolve it!

Thanks a lot.

I really like this forum. Everyone is so helpful!