Preview (application)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mynameismatt89, Jan 3, 2007.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

hey,

Ever since i've had my ibook, i have never been able to use the application 'preview'. Its kind of a pain since i cannot preview prints before i print them and other tasks that require its use. Everytime i open it, or an application opens it to view something, it just automatially closes and does not display a 'preview has unexpectedly quit... re-open, report, ... etc.'. How can i get it to work. Is there somewhere i can download it from? I looked on the apple-downloads section and could not find it.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

With Preview closed, go to <your user name>/Library/Preferences and find the file called com.apple.Preview.plist. Drag it to your Desktop. While you're at it, do the same with one called com.apple.Preview.bookmarks.plist (if it's present) just to be safe. Then try to open Preview. If it works, you can go ahead and delete the plist files you dragged to your Desktop.

3. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, the two files are on the desktop and it still does not work.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, how about this: Repeat the above steps in case the preference files were recreated when you attempted to open it. Delete the Preview application. Then use Pacifist to install it from your install disc.

5. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so i've got the two files on my desktop and i deleted the application. I've just downloaded the pacifist program and am about to insert my cd. Do i leave the two files on the desktop or do i have to delete those too?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can just leave them there. Pacifist should just put a fresh copy of the Preview app in the proper place, and new preference files will be created (in their proper place) when you launch the new Preview app.

7. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

i cant find the preview application on the disc anywhere...

which one is it?

Attached Files:

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't appear to be using Pacifist to browse the install disc. Once you do so, it will be in the Applications folder.

9. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

oh ok, well when i did click on 'open apple install packages' it looked like it was installing everything

10. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry, my mistake, it's just loading them. I assume i can find it once it is done loading them all.

Thanks

11. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, it finally works now... thanks very much WildCowboy:)

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member