Preview not compatible on emac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swingerofbirch, Jul 11, 2004.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hello,

I was wondering if the Tiger beta is only compatible on certain systems? For example, if I were to have a copy and it were to kernel panic starting up from the install dvd saying the computer being installed on (emac) was not supported, would that be a systematic issue with the beta, or something particular to my machine?

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Some computer models are currently not supported. You'd have to install from a FireWire drive. I think that some laptops are not supported, but I didn't know the eMac wasn't either. What model do you have?
    –Chase

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

Hey, the eMac I have is the 1 Gig/Superdrive/256 mb

the beginning of the error message says something about a driver not found for PowerMac 4,4

I also tried it on a Cube/450 and had a similar kernel panic that said driver not found for Power Mac 5,1 (I think...not positive about that)

Anyhow, what do you mean about installing it from a firewire drive...I do have one..but I'm not sure how I would do that

Are my two systems incompatible, or perhaps a version of tiger that may or may not have been downloaded from a bit torrent might be corrupted?

4. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

nm

nevermind...i think i figured out the FW drive workaround

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

it's not a workaround. it's a safety feature.

6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

yup. the people who are supposed to have access to the preview should know better than to go right in and attempt to install it as their main OS on their internal, primary boot drives. jimsnowden covered this in his wastelanded thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=80137