Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Or perhaps "rants" is more like it. I'm on El Capitan .6 and have two issues/questions with Preview. First, while it was possible at one time to force Preview to stop both autoscale and autorotate those old tricks (using defaults to modify preferences) no longer work. Second, some times when I start up Preview (usually by clicking on a file) it not only shows the file I've selected but it also pops up with the last file (or files) I was viewing with Preview even if I'd quit Preview. Any way to stop this?

I've also been noticing that Preview no longer drops out of the Dock when you quit an image, and also that even if you go through the menu and tell Preview to quit it is often still lurking in the background and requires a Force Quit to make it go away. This might be tied to the second issue above.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
After some fiddling (and a reboot) I think I got at least the autoscale issue settled (for PNG images, anyway). Under the View menu, toggled "Actual Size" on, and in Preferences->Images set 100% scale to 1 image pixel = 1 screen pixel. For some reason, these changes didn't take hold until I rebooted, but now Preview opens with the image size correct and not scaled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.