Preview-Taking a picture of a menu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ranger33, Jan 30, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Mac iBook G4
    OS 10.4.11

Hi Forum,

Below is the text of "Preview Help-Taking a picture of a menu". I can't get the picture of a drop-down menu, for instance in Safari>Window>drop down menu.

I’ve tried various ways of following the instructions. each time I end up with a screenshot of the entire computer window (which does include the drop down menu, but then to get a picture of just the drop down menu I would have to select the drop down menu, which is just another stop in the proces. What I want is just the Safari list of open Safari windows below “Window”. My understanding is that that is possible to do in Preview.

Please give me feedback on how to accomplish what I’ve described.

Thanks,

Ranger33

You can take a picture of a pull-down or pop-up menu.
    Choose File>Grab>Timed Screen.
    Press the mouse button to open the menu you want to capture, and keep the mouse button pressed until the Timed Screen Grab dialog closes and the picture appears.
    Preview captures the menu within 10 seconds. The image is saved to your Desktop.
    See also
    Taking screen shots

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From OS X keyboard shortcuts:

Attached Files:

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used these for years:
    Command-Shift-3 Take a picture of the screen
    Command-Shift-4 Take a picture of the selection

This is new. Thanks.
    Command-Shift-4, then press Control while selecting Take a picture of the screen, place in Clipboard.
    It accomplishes what I've wanted to do.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I don't get why, when I press "Preview Post" I get: "The following errors occurred when this message was submitted: "1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."

I keep writing (more than 1 character), and I get the same error message. Also, the entire message doesn't show up with the quote I've chosen to show from your response. when I "Submit Reply"

2. The "Attachment" also doesn't show up in my response.

3. I'm wary of going to other pages to find the attachment, and to look for other things on other applications such as word, because when I try to get back to this page I've lost the text I've entered.

4. The attachment you sent (and I don't understand how the 'Forums.macrumors' site uses "attachments". Should they Open?) shows me a menu bar I've never seen in Preview (or Safari), nor have I seen the choices on the drop down menu you show. I wish I could get to that "attachment" now, or to a picture of it, in order to explain myself more clearly. What I want to know is how I can find those unknown, to me, extra choices on preview,

Thanks for your help ggjstudios. I look forward to your reply.

Ranger 33

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. In this post, your entire attachment showed up. Great.

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you quote someone to reply, you have to type at least one character. Their quoted text doesn't count.
    You should avoid quoting attached images, as they make the thread very long and are needless. When you quote someone and refer to an image they've attached, there is automatically a link to the post where that image appears, if someone wants to see it.
    If you click the paperclip icon to attach a file, it opens a new window, leaving your text where you left it.
    Attachments in posts are usually pictures. It's not a good idea to post other filetypes, such as executables.
    The screen cap I posted was of a standard safari menu. The "Window" menu.
    Again, the menu is from Safari, not Preview.

7. macrumors 65816

I thought I replied to this? I must've not submitted.

Anyway, I had said that command+shift+4 works to capture a selection, but while you have the cursor active for capturing, you can hit space to make it capture a window. You can use this to capture just a menu.

1) Select your menu
    2) Command+shift+4
    3) space
    4) click

[​IMG]