Preview using Digital Camera. Saved changes. Lost pics?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ShockWave, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ShockWave macrumors newbie

I recently had a trip away and took my new digital camera with me. Took loads of great and memorable pictures.

When I got back I plugged my camera into my iBook G4 (via USB) and viewed some of the pics using the Preview software built into my iBook. Some of the pictures were side-on so I rotated them in Preview to get the best look. Then when I closed Preview it asked me if I wanted to save the changes I had made, thinking nothing of it I clicked YES. Now those pictures I had viewed have disappeared from the menu in my digital camera. When I clicked YES to save would it have tried to save the changes to the pictures on my camera and therefore caused some kind of error? Or would it have saved copies of these pictures somewhere on my iBook?

Please help!!

-SW-

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless Preview asked you for a new location it has saved the images back over the old ones. Some cameras are very unhappy when other devices write to their memory cards. The files are still there at a file level. Do not format the card. If you have a card reader simply remove the card and use that. If the camera mounts as a drive mount it that way. Either way look for the files an copy them onto your iBook...

3. ShockWave thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do.

I'm at work now and don't have my camera-to-mac usb cable.. will check tonight..

Thanks for your help!!

-SW-

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

ps....aLwAyS drag the photos to your desktop after mounting the camera. Then eject the camera, unplug it and turn it off right away.

This not only saves your batteries, it also prevents the situation you just described :)

Plus the original pics are still on the memory card, and can be re-imported if you should lose or corrupt the copies you put on your desktop