Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, May 31, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2006
    I'm new to Mac so I guess I'm still stuck in Windows-land. Anyway, I hate preview! Whenever I view a pic with Preview and then close the pic window, preview remains open. I know that this is how it is with all Mac applications but it is the most annoying with preview. Is there a way to have preview quit whenever I close a pic window? Thanks.
  2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    No, but you can hit command-Q to quite Preview. Honestly though, you need to get out of the Windows mentality that apps should close just because all their windows are closed. Why do you care if it remains open? It takes hardly any resources and makes it so it's instantly ready next time you need to use it. Preview, TextEdit and Terminal are basically always open on my Macs even though they've rarely got any open Windows.
  3. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    are u that lazy that u cnt rite click the icon and quit, or yet apple key - q to quit. jeez. damn windows.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Interesting way to write that. :p

I'm still surprised at how many Windows users don't use Alt-F4 to quit applications, but I guess they're not long time Windows users and just do it the newer way that was introduced in Win95.
  5. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    if you're viewing many photos, having Preview open will save you time from running preview many times. If you're viewing one photo, just Apple+Q it. Wouldn't make sense for a program, in this case a Previewing program, to work this way?
  6. SCMaverick macrumors member

Feb 22, 2006
    Speaking of Preview. Coming from Windows it was Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to look at photos. Using that you can view all images in a folder by just scrolling through. In Preview, unless I've missed something, it looks like you have to select all the images you want to view from Finder and then click Open to view them all. Is this correct? Any alternatives??
  7. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Select the 'Icon View' from the view panel (see below) on each window, then hit ⌘-J to set view options, where you can make the images larger and show a preview.

Is that what you were asking for? It shows all the images in the Finder.

Attached Files:

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Actually if you go to the third selection it will so a preview of the picture on the right. For example:

Attached Files:

9. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    iPhoto closes, but Preview won't. I wished it did too at first, but now I just leave it and TextEdit in my Dock. It's not like on Windows, it's not that big of a deal to leave it open if you use it all the time. There are other free and cheap programs out there you can download and use instead of Preview if you don't like it. Check out VersionTracker. I used Irfanview on my PC, wish it was available on the Mac, but if you Select All and open or just use iPhoto, it's not that bad. There's a way to get iPhoto to not add images to it's library.