Previewing Music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HermanTheGerman, Apr 24, 2006.

1. HermanTheGerman macrumors member

Now, I do have RealPlayer and Windows Media Player installed, which do not automatically let me listen to the files, but rather download them. Can I make my browser (Camino/Firefox) automatically open them? I have tried to find working plugins, but failed.

And how can I, for instance, listen to shtml files (AllOfMp3)? What program would you recommend?

Any help is appreciated!

HermanTheGerman

2. milkdev macrumors member

milkdev

Servus, ;)

der Windows Media Player wird für den Mac von Microsoft nicht mehr weiterentwickelt und es wird auch kein Universal Binary davon geben.

Aber es soll mitte Mai ein Universal Binary von Flip4Mac geben. Damit kannst du wmv Dateien auch direkt im Safari/Firefox/Camino über den eingebetteten Quicktime Player abspielen. Musst dich also noch ein bisschen gedulden.

Aber warum magst du den iTMS nicht? Zu teuer?
    Soweit ich weiß hat AllOfMp3 keine Rechte, Musik nach Deutschland zu verkaufen. Somit kannst du dir das Geld dafür eigentlich sparen und sie gleich "irgendwo anders" runterladen.

Bitte unterstütze die Interpreten und kauf dir die Musik im iTMS!

edit (translated into english for our american friends)

Hi,

there will be no further development of the Windows Media Player for Mac from Microsoft, so there won't be a Universal Binary version.

But there will be a Universal Binary of Flip4Mac in the middle of may. With it you'll be able to play wmv files direclty in Safari/Firefox/Camino with the embedded Quicktime Player. So you have to be patient a little more.

But why do you dislike the iTMS? Is it too expensive?
    To what I know, AllOfMp3 has no rights to sell music to Germany, so you can save the money and download the music "somewhere else" instead.

Please support the artists and buy your music at the iTMS!

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

shmtp files are not music files, they are web pages with a particular type of server.

AllofMP3 steals music from the artists. None of the artists have granted permission from AllofMP3 to distribute their work. None of the money you pay goes to the people who produced the music. Please do not patronise them.

4. milkdev macrumors member

milkdev

Absolutely right. Plus you never know where your credit card number goes...
    A buck is not too much for good music!

5. HermanTheGerman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I have only been considering previewing music at allofmp3 anyway, as stated in the thread title. That's about it.

Other than that, I usually go for iTMS. No matter what.