Previous generation refubs: iMac 17" vs. 12" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sigamy, Sep 16, 2003.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Hi all,

I'm dying to use iDVD to create home movies of the kids. I've been editing on a 2yr old Windows XP machine and I'm tired of the 7 hour render times (Athlon 800mhz). So I'm looking for a Mac with the Superdrive.

Apple Store has 17" iMac 1Ghz for $1299 and the 12" Powerbook for $1399. I currently have a 700mhz iBook which I'll have to sell if I upgrade. I love having a laptop, and I love the small size of the 12" but I wonder if I should just go for the iMac due to the larger screen.

Any ideas? Which would you buy?

2. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

Any one have any input on this?

Which should I buy? 17" iMac w/ Superdrive or the 12" PB w/ Superdrive?

Thanks.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

not sure how quickly PB will render compared to a PC... did you consider a refurb PowerMac? (but it looks like you need a monitor from the tone of the post...)

performance probably won't differ much. 867 MHz vs. 1 GHz... take your pick, but if you like the portability, get the PB. i assume you won't be using the computer to view DVDs, right? (Because otherwise, nice large 17" helps...)

4. Bear macrumors G3

The 17" iMac has a bigger screen which makes editing movies easier. Also, the faster harddrive and faster processor on the iMac should help a bit with movie rendering in iDVD.