Previous iTunes Libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alexstein, Jan 6, 2006.

1. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I just opened my ~/music/iTunes folder and in the iTunes folder there was a folder named 'previous iTunes Libraries' that folder existed of two iTunes Library Data files. My question now is can I just delete that folder or is it essential to have iTunes function properly?

Here is a screen shot.enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah you can delete it. Sometimes, iTunes updates create these Previous iTunes Library data files. Of course, if you want to play it safe you can always just leave it in the Trash without emptying so that the system can't see it and it effectively isn't there. :)

3. alexstein thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Thanks mad jew. I didn't think it was a big deal just wanted to ask what you guys think. I will give that a shot and see what happens.

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I thought it was so you could restore your old library, thanks MJ.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well sort of. However, unless the file structure is identical to what that file thinks it should be (remember it's not updating when you change something in iTunes) then it won't work as a back up unfortunately. In short, it'll only act as a back up until the next time you change/add/delete a song.

I have a feeling it's automatically created when you update iTunes with iTunes already open but I could be wrong. :)

6. ngeissel macrumors newbie

Help.....

Is there anyway to open up that "previous itunes libraries" and extract the music, without completely deleting your current itunes library?

7. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

That file doesn't contain any music, it's just a database file (in very basic terms, it's a list of the songs and other attributes in iTunes).