Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
US
I had to reinstall Panther via archiving my previous system / which leaves two systems on my root folder: the fresh-installed one and the previous one (under "Previous System")
Can I trash the previous system / including its Library?
I ask because I notice that the new System' Library does not contain all the folders that were in the previous System's Library, for instance "Audio" and "Desktop Pictures" / should I move these to the new System? / I read early on not to mess with root folders / was that just when even the "experts" were themselves new to OSX? / seems the computer is using some of the previous sytem's Library folders / if I junk them, I may be in trouble / and if I move them to the new System's Library I may be headed for trouble too? / so, should I just leave well enough alone and carry along an extra System?:confused:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: "Previous System" quandry

Originally posted by Ambie
I had to reinstall Panther via archiving my previous system / which leaves two systems on my root folder: the fresh-installed one and the previous one (under "Previous System")
Can I trash the previous system / including its Library?
I ask because I notice that the new System' Library does not contain all the folders that were in the previous System's Library, for instance "Audio" and "Desktop Pictures" / should I move these to the new System? / I read early on not to mess with root folders / was that just when even the "experts" were themselves new to OSX? / seems the computer is using some of the previous sytem's Library folders / if I junk them, I may be in trouble / and if I move them to the new System's Library I may be headed for trouble too? / so, should I just leave well enough alone and carry along an extra System?:confused:
everything in the Previous Systems folder is delete-able. Move all the prefs, apps, files, misc. that you want, then to remove the folders go to terminal and type in:
Code:
sudo rm -rf /Previous\ Systems/Previous\ System\ (number)
iirc...ONLY assuming the stuff you want to delete is in the Previous System 1 folder in the Previous Systems folder. Or just type in
Code:
sudo rm -rf
leaving a space at the end, and drag & drop the folder(s) you want to delete into the terminal window.

Ambie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
US
I made a mistake

thanks übergeek, but I undeliberately led you astray

sorry to you & all, I goofed big time / when I opened the folder “Previous System 1” there was a Library folder—and I mistook that for the Library folder in System /

now with Panther I put both Systems’ folder icons into the left column of the window and compared the two via toggling / and I was very glad (but embarrassed) to see that the correct folders are indeed where they’re supposed to be under both HD Library folders

my mistake again: mistaking the first Library I saw listed under the “Previous System 1” folder for the Library under the System folder under the same “Previous System 1” folder

So, I guess now, it would be OK to dump the entire “Previous System 1” folder? / System, Library & all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.