Prey. Best use of the Doom 3 engine yet?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I gotta say. I loved Doom 3 when it first came out. No game had ever pushed graphics as much as Doom 3 did, no game had ever scared me as much before. Then came Quake 4. Ouch! I found it started off great but suddenly dropped, the final boss and ending really annoyed me. Plus it just felt like Doom 3, part 2.

But Prey. I'm just past the part with the 'spirit walk' level. So far I'm really enjoying it, the music is nice and the intro was very well made. Really hoping this game keeps the momentum going, can see this being a snazzy little FPS :) Funny how this had such a lacklustre launch too. does it get bad or something?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I heard the the single player is short, and its former distribution system (like steam) went belly up. The demo looked good. I also enjoyed Doom3 and just recently replayed it. But with such powerful stuff coming out now Prey might find it tough goin. Lots of great releases hitting the shelfs now and in 2007.

3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I found the demo a little bit "meh". It's on my rental list though. I think DHM is right though - Prey won't get a look in now because of the GoW might...

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

In that logic GoW won't get a look in when Crysis is out :D

Nah, Prey is beyond graphics. It's warping my mind the way the gravity shifts about, shooting enemies on ceilings and that. Even if this was using something plain looking like the Source Engine it would still be crazy fun to play. oh wait... Portal :D . For the time being this is the most revolutionary FPS (hell even just Shooter!) I've played and I reckon it's well worth checking out.

Love the feeling of this giant orb space ship too. Gives a bit of a Halo-world feel.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doom 3 was a terrible game. I really cant believe you hold that up as some pinacle of gaming. It's an absolute utter rubbish game - covered in fancy plastic gift wrapping.
    or how could you be scared? Once you know its a walk down dark corridor open door. Behind door is zombie shoot zombie. and on and on... reptativiness incarnate.

Simply an awful game. Quake 4 - just as bad. :(

Prey is 'slightly better', but the flying levels get major repetative, and by the end of the game your just wishing it was over sooner rather than later, and it's not even that long a game either. Multiplayer Prey is dire beyond belief.

And so much for great level design. It's a 1 trick pony repeated for 7 hours. And it's all utterly linear beyond belief. There is no great 'design' at all after the first hour you have seen it all.

Halo 2 for all its faults had a far better single player, far better AI and a vastly superior multiplayer...

prey + doom = plastic vomit :eek:

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've played the Doom 3 Demo, and it put me on edge a little. But it got old quickly enough that I didn't have any interest in buying the game. From a technical standpoint though, it is a great game. I saw it running at 1600x1200 at the local Microcenter and it looked great.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Of course it isn't as great as it was. But when Doom 3 came out we had the likes of Half Life 2 just being launched too. Farcry and co. Doom 3 really shifted the bar in my opinion, sure the graphics looked plasticky, but the first time I saw an imp was the first time I saw the best digitally recreated plasticine ever. Looks like it's in fashion too, Unreal 3 engine anyone? I much prefer the more subtle look of HL2 now and how it deals with vast open areas better.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hence the line in my post...

Beneath the graphics belies a poor fps with as much depth as the original doom.

9. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I liked Prey. I was a little disapointed at the very end because it was too easy to defeat the final boss, the level before it was much harder. The ending was a little sad, you'll find out why, I won't spoil it.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The demo made me dislike this game greatly. It felt generic, boring, and gimmicky. How people were going mad over it, I don't know...

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ditto here, EXCEPT for the portaling bit, which I thought was nifty.

12. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Problem with Prey's portal system is that it doesnt actually give you control of any of the portals. They merely appear when the developers have scripted them to. You can only use them when they need you to move to the next linear path.

There some great potential but it's never realised fully.

Hopefully Valve's portal will take the concept to its natural end.

14. Virtualball macrumors 6502

I liked Prey, much better then Doom 3 :rolleyes: Seriously, Doom 3 was just "oooh a shot gun! Boom! Oooh and plasma gun! Boom!" THere was nothing more then shooting, no plot or anything, but then again, it is Doom.;)

On the other hand, Prey is a breath of fresh air from all the others. It has a totaly different plot, using old Indian Heritage to save the world, rather then just chainsaws and land mines. it looks great and the whole portal system/spirit world thing makes it great. The single player was a little short but I like the ending, how he "SPOILERS!!!!!! DONT LOOK AT THE NEXT LINE!!!!!" throws the circle thing into the sun.

I think it was a great game.

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well thanks you could have coloured that text white :rolleyes:

Anyways. Just finished it. Much much better than Quake 4. Is it just me or is this whole military theme in FPS games wearing a little thin? Much better than Doom 3.
    Anyone else notice the Doom 3 music when fighting the final boss? Thought that was a strange thing to add :D

BUT the way enemies just kept popping out towards the end was annoying. Very very repeatative.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's what i said. First couple of hours the game is fresh, but after that the whole game is very very repetitive. ;)

The best puzzle was the one where you had to shoot the blocks inside the cube and make the light follow the path. That was well done, the rest of the unfortunetly were weak. And the final boss was SO predictable and easy..

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea I was hoping for the final boss to take place in Spirit walk mode.

The way you don't actually die was pulled off very well though! Very very nicely done.

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess it's clearly the best use of the Doom 3 engine... since there only have been 2 others (Doom 3, Quake 4)...
    for an game/engine in development for 4 years the amount of games released is disappointing

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Quake Wars is looking promising though...

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True , I think what happened in the industry is that everyone decided for the most part to make their own graphic engines, 5 years ago that wasnt so much the case. Also the doom 3 engine cant do large outside area's very well.

21. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

3d realms is producing this game?

they should finish DUKE NUKEM FOREVER first... :rolleyes: :p

22. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Its too bad that people in Japan will never find the joy that some people have in playing 1st person games like Oblivion and Prey(and other shooters). Even Fable is a fun game kind of like Zelda but since its made by microsoft(usa) they wont go near it.

23. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Woo! Glad to see you're bringing back up the "Japan hates America" card again!

And why won't Japanese folk see these games? Prey and Oblivion? I played them on my PC. Incidentally whilst playing I kept going over in my head how crap this would be without a mouse, what with the gravity shifting and such.
    Oblivion plays nothing like Zelda, if anything I think it's more like a Final Fantasy game. But cummon. Zelda? Starfox Adventures has more in common with Zelda.