Prey OS X: Your opinions?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I downloaded the demo and just finished it on my G5. Very good performance. What do you think of this game? Is it worth buying? Is it fun to play?

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I quite enjoyed it. The story is quite hackneyed but good enough to keep you interested. There's some interesting ideas with the 'portals' and things but you get to experience most of those in the demo, the full game is more of the same.

A nice touch is that you can continue your save game from the demo in the released version so you don't need to trudge through the same parts again.

Also I seem to remember finding it a bit on the short side. Overall I'd give it 7/10, no where near as good as something like HL2 but better than your average FPS.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I enjoyed it. about 90% in it gets a little tired, but before that it's quite fun. Weapons are interesting. I like how they didn't go for traditional weapons adding a bit of variation to it.

Yea. It's no HL2 but it's fun to play through.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK, I've played it through on the 360.

But, I downloaded the demo for the mac anyway.
    Running on a mac pro, 4gb mem, X1900XT so it's pretty solid FR wise ;) but yeah its still the same old Prey.

The biggest issue with Prey is this. Imagine playing that demo 20 or 30 times. Now you have just finished prey, because its essentially the same thing over and over and over again.

Whilst portals are an interesting concept, the ones in prey are not really portals, they are just scripted doorways and you have NO control over them, meaning they may as well be any door.

The not being able to die idea is interesting but makes the game even easier to finish. Plus the quick save is still there anyway so what the point ?

The bosses are some of the weakest & most predicatable i've played in ANY game. The final boss is so utterly predictable and easy it just makes you go MEH.

The puzzles remain very bland and repetative, with only the level where your in the box and having to move it around to change the path of the light being anyway memorable.

Flying sections are very poor and feel utterly tapped on, not so much the controls but the structure of these levels. Bland and linear to the point of monotony.

There's 1 clever idea in Prey, but by the end of the game they have beaten it to death.

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I played the x360 version and it really did seem too similar to doom for me. Unfortunately I had just finished Doom before it and I was probably a bit worn out from it.

6. andy89 macrumors 6502

I wish I had a computer fast enough to play it :(

7. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Played through it on my iMac in Bootcamp. It was fun, I guess, but not something I would play twice. As far as recent mac games go, I'd say it is worth a play through.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah but does he need to play the whole game through, or just the demo a couple of times ;)

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Just as unimpressed as with the 360 version. I'd struggle to tell the difference between this and Quake 4 (I know it's in the same engine, but they may as well just retexture Q4 and you have Prey), and the loading times are :eek:

10. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

If your only gaming comes from the mac, then buy it, is what I'm saying. If you have a gaming PC or a 360/Wii/PS2/PS3/GC/Whatever, then I would say don't bother.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's true I guess. I'm just too bleeding spoilt for choice ;)

12. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, I find it an interesting game. Finishing the demo, I realize that I don't want anything revolutionary to play on my Mac, just something that will keep me busy for a few hours. Quake 4 did the trick for me, why wouldn't Prey?

I think I will buy it, but if I want to be very judgmental, I would say that it's not worth the time and money, especially since there are other great games out there.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Surprisingly lengthy demo. Nice graphics. Bad voice acting. :D it's interesting, I like the portal stuff — though I think I'd rather just play Portal when it comes out with HL2 Episode 2.

I enjoyed the opening scene with "Don't Fear the Reaper" playing, that was classic! Also I really liked Art Bell's (voice) appearance! Other than that, a fairly average FPS that I probably won't bother with.

14. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I agree, I was expecting more of portals, the whole gravity and wall walking is really nice but I'll admit I did have to stop playing during some sections because I was getting motion sickness (and no I'm not motion sickness prone), I thought it was quite a decent shooter but nothing special and it was very easy.

15. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

The character gets sick too, I liked that touch.