Price Discrepencies...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MisterGreen, Nov 25, 2004.

1. MisterGreen macrumors newbie

I made the decision to switch to mac products about a month ago. I've been dutifully researching and have come to the following conclusion.

If you live in Canada, you are getting hosed! The difference between apple.com store and the apple.ca store is almost 15% AFTER currency conversion. For a G5 iMac with a little extra ram and FCxpress, we're talking about $300.

Has anyone had any luck addressing this issue? If I want to buy a mac in US dollars can I? This seems silly to me....

Thoughts?

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

you forget about tariffs, taxes (other than sales), additional middlemen costs, etc… those costs add up

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

heh, try looking at US vs UK prices :( It'll make you feel better.

4. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

the EU has a 12% tariff on US imports :)

5. MisterGreen thread starter macrumors newbie

Being a free trade partner with America there are no tarrifs or taxes. As far as middlemen, there are none. When I order a computer I phone 1-800-my-apple and talk to the same folks that American customers do... I asked. :(

meh, I'll probably buy one anyway... I just wanted to whine a lil first..

6. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

That's not entirely true. There are no duties/tarriffs on items imported into Canada from the US, but you do still have to pay taxes (GST, PST).

I was also surprised to find that Apple prices in the UK were cheaper than those in Canada (I just moved to the UK from Canada). In contrast, prices at Dell Canada are MUCH less than those for comparable machines at Dell UK.

7. MisterGreen thread starter macrumors newbie

The GST and PST are just part of life here... They are always added after the fact... I pay them no matter where I buy a product... which is fine, its the same for everyone up here. What dusts me is the price differential between .com and .ca. I'd love to get the same price as American Customers.. and I'd happily pay the sales tax to my various levels of governemt :cool:

8. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

Yeah, for sure. Before I left Canada for the UK, I was looking at Dells and they were always getting *much* better deals than us Canucks were. A bit annoying.

9. MisterGreen thread starter macrumors newbie

As a follow up, I traded emails with Apple support and was finally told to phone Apple Customer Relations, which I did. I was told that my complaint had been logged and someone may or may not get back to me.

At any rate, the young woman who listened patiently to me rant on about the currency exchange problem was very nice and polite. I'd urge any Canadians out there to phone in.. its a bit of a wait... but if we all complain, maybe they'll have a look at it.

Today a 1.8 G5 imac base system is $1499 USD at the American Online Store. That works out to around $1788 CDN. The price at the Canadian online store is $1999 CDN.

All these figures are pre sales tax... which would be added prior to the transaction completed.

So, my questions remains .... why am I paying almost 12% more than an American counterpart for the same computer. There are no tarriffs.... no hidden taxes? Dang it.. what's the point of havin free trade, if it aint free trade?

If anyone else in interested, the apple customer relations number is 800-767-2775.

Continuing his rant,

MisterGreen....

10. mpw Guest

There's no import duty on PC's or laptops entering Europe from the US.

There is a 2% import tariff on iPods however.

11. mpw Guest

With the US$ at nearly an all time low against the £ & € it's not really that surprising we're getting a reasonable deal at the moment. But of course Apple set their prices with these fluctuations in mind so in a year the UK will be paying twice the US prices for new gear.

12. russed macrumors 68000

russed

but it works out pretty cool if you can get them from the states with the exchange rate at the moment. you can get an ipod mini for £130!

its rather useful that my dad is over there on business this week. i dropped a few hints before he left!

13. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You thought you could unleash Celine Dion on us without repercussions?

14. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Hey, I would gladly pay a few hundred dollars more and not have to deal with the Bushites, anti-abortionists, anti-evolutionists, this-is-my-gun-so-stay-the-hell-away-even-though-I-have-a-criminal-record-ists, that an American encounters everyday here.

Plus, you guys have lots of land.

15. MisterGreen thread starter macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: sorry... :p

16. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Don't feel so bad.

Down here in Australia it is even worse. A Dual 2.0 PowerMac is US$2499 which is roughly AU$3250 at today's exchange rate. Currently they are being sold for AU$4499, or over AU$1200 more.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that is because they have to be kangaroo proof.

18. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

there is a general tariff… because the US was using an illegal export subsidy