Price drop after MWSF

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Jan 3, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Are we gonna see a price drop in the powerbooks? If so how much? :cool:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The only way there'll be a price drop is if Apple changes the PBs in some way. They won't just drop the price. Also, unlike the iBooks, I'd assume they'd keep PB prices relatively constant (like the PMs) but add features or improve the specs.

And, no, I expect no G5 PBs, nor even dual-core G4's, but possibly better screens, disks, etc. Maybe. I suspect there will be no mention of new PBs, although of course I hope that there will be.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Your shooting guns in the air son. Between dual core and G5s no one knows, don't push it.

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

If anything new will be introduced the new range will keep its price .. don't forget that the last 2 revisions saw a price drop [ first one a real $100 .. the next one with standard AE and BT ] ..

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nobody knows!

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

More specifically: anyone who knows will not tell you. Therefore, anything you hear will be from someone who does not know.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok, Ok :p You're right. Same end result though, no one here can tell you squat. So don't bother asking! :eek:

8. efoto macrumors 68030

But it is soooo much fun to start the 100th thread on this topic :eek:

There needs to be a suicide emoticon to convey the thoughts of this topic. It is around so much.

If you do not need one TODAY, just wait a couple more days and buy whichever version is out that you like then. Until then, nothing is going to change and nobody knows anything concrete....at least not that they are sharring.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

10. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Perhaps the headline should read "Price drop after MWSF 2005?"

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...that would not change any of the responses to this often asked and very redundant question....oh yeah!

12. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

I put forth motion to perm ban CaptainCaveMann. :D

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

On this idea

I think it is innocent enough looking at the first pages of his posts.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Let's not go nuts.

15. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

While I support the posts saying Cavemann shouldn't post redundant topics, it's not like this post is so awful. Everyone saying "We don't know" is really stating the obvious and overlooking the purpose of the entire MacRumors website - to speculate about Apple related stuff. Tons of threads are started about things we don't know, not knowing is what brings us to this website, and speculating is what we do. In conclusion - Cavemann, search the forums first, the rest of you, of course we don't know, so it's really unnecessary to put forth that point in the manner in which it was put forth.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind that many don't wade past the first few pages on the "headless Mac" thread. Or if they do and respond, the notification may drop you a page or two further than you think.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If history is any gage, Apple doesn't often lower prices on a CPU. Apple usually offers us increased performance instead.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe, but it's hard when they can't do that (no dual-core G4's, and no G5's that we know of are ready for laptops).

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

True, but they could upgrade the drives easily and move up to screen resolutions that the PC world has been enjoying for years.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, that'd be great and all, but it doesn't mean s*** without a decent CPU upgrade though.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's awesome edesignuk. The only problem with doing a search is that you have to use the exact same wording as your searched item. I have found it to be frustrating at times.

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, the search isn't the best in the world. But it works well enough when ever I use it :D

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I guess we disagree - if I could have a PB with a 7200RPM hard drive and a 1920x1200 screen (like my 2 year old Dell work laptop), I would happily live with the CPU speed. Crappy drive speeds and - especially - horrible screen resolutions are what keep me from buying one.

Well, that and the lack of available funding.

But still, if I could get a 15" PB with either a 1920x1200 screen, 7200 RPM drive, and 1.5GHz G4 or a 15" PB with a 2GHz G4 and the current screen and drive, I'd opt for the former without a second thought.

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't disagree. Higher screen res is badly needed for pro laptops, as is faster hard drives, but as well as those things (that have been smissing for a long time anyway :rolleyes: ), faster CPU's are needed. You can't say you have released a new PB, without giving it a faster CPU.

25. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I think some folks on this thread needn't get so worked up over trivial matters.