Price Drop: Apple Offering Refurbished iPad 1 for $299

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple has lowered the price of a refurbished entry-level 16GB iPad 1 to $299.

The price seems to have been dropped this weekend and is the lowest price we've seen for an iPad direct from Apple. All Apple's refurbished products come with the same warranty as new ones and include a new battery and aluminum outer shell.

This weekend HP slashed the price of its now-cancelled TouchPad tablet to $99 in order to clear stock in the wake of its corporate reorganization. By all accounts the TouchPad has been selling extremely well at that heavily reduced price point. Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make.

Thanks Ronald!

Article Link: Price Drop: Apple Offering Refurbished iPad 1 for $299

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't they all come with an aluminum outer shell?

3. macrumors 6502

matbook101

Wow. Actually that's nice i'll probably get one for "at-home" iPad. You know to sit by the tv with the apple tv. It'll look good.

4. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The battery and shell are new, I take the wording to mean.

5. macrumors member

I think the 'new' applies to both the battery AND shell :)

6. macrumors 6502a

This statement is saying that the refurbished products get a new aluminum body. Especially since a new part number (and I assume new serial number) is laser etched on the aluminum.

Where as if you get a refurb from other companies, many times it is the same "shell" with a fixed interior (if that is even needed).

7. macrumors 6502

matbook101

Read the whole thing please.

8. macrumors 68000

$199 and they may get a lot more sales in

9. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well that's not a bad price for a almost-new iPad. :) Personally I wouldn't mind Apple selling more than one revision of the iPad at a time, similar to how the iPhone 3GS is still being sold.

I can envision an iPad 2 for $399 and an iPad 3 for $499. At least that's just my two cents... selling the original for $199 or $249 would do really well. I myself bought (or tried to buy) an HP TouchPad simply to use as an interactive photo frame for my Grandmother, purely because of the price.

10. macrumors 6502

Anddddd it's already sold out

----------

Don't think that will ever happen...I'm pretty sure parts alone run Apple $270. They're barely turning any profit as is.

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors 6502

justinfreid

So...

The original iPad is still three times as expensive as the HP TouchPad.

13. macrumors regular

x13gamer

so much for resale value

That only brings the resale value of my 1st Gen iPad (32gb+3g) down some more. Thanks

14. macrumors 6502

LOL. Oh Apple. You can't stand for the media spotlight to be on someone else for a SECOND!

15. macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

Or they might want to also clear out their supply as much as possible.

16. macrumors 65816

And it still sold faster.

17. duk
    macrumors regular

"Apple continues to sell every iPad it can make"

Not true, I was out shopping this weekend, and every store I was in had an abundance of all models of ipad 2 sitting in the display case. Best buy, target and walmart all had plenty of unsold stock sitting on the shelf.

18. macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Exactly.

I wonder how the original iPad runs WebOS considering that the iPad 2 was supposed to be double as quick as the TouchPad.

19. macrumors member

And do you know exactly how long they have been sitting there?

I know just about every store that carries the iPad 2 in my area hardly had any in stock due to overwhelming demand.

20. macrumors 6502

Wish this one on the UK store too. I'd have snapped one at that price.

21. macrumors member

Hence, they have been sold by Apple to "Best buy, target and walmart"

22. macrumors 65816

Admittedly every outlet doesn't have people lined up waiting for the next shipment to head for the shelf.

There's a difference between "a shipment came in and will be gone in a few days" vs. "they've been sitting there a while and we're concerned shelf-space costs are eating into our potential profit". Ask 'em how long that "plenty of unsold stock" has been sitting on the shelf.

23. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Says a lot, doesn't it?

Apple obsolete devices are outselling the competition's current ones (and in some cases their best effort.) Take the 3GS, for example.

24. macrumors 68000

You guys are not taking into consideration how many Refurbished 16GB iPads Apple had in the inventory right? I doubt there were many remaining, unless the failure rate of iPads is high.. Refurbished as you know are generally ones that were defective or returned..

So long story short, the Touchpad sold in about 2 days ? and Best Buy alone had 270,000 in the inventory, god knows how many were produced..

I don't think its fair to say that Apple sold any quicker, at least not without knowing how many Apple had in its inventory..

I honestly think for $99 HP Touchpad must have sold quicker, you can't even get a netbook for $99, its an amazing price for a product like that..

25. macrumors 6502a

oh great, my dad's going to be bugging me about this. He wont buy it, he will just talk about buying it for a couple of months :(