price drop on macbooks and mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mmd, Oct 28, 2006.

1. mmd macrumors newbie

After the updated macbooks come out soon, will the old macbooks drop in price like the macbook pros did? I really could care less if i have cd or c2d if it means im getting a good deal.

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

They might (there's a good chance, actually), but you'd have to call apple directly after the upgrade to find out pricing.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, all the standard configuration will be available in the Special Deals section while the supply lasts.

But, the bigger drives, more memory, Merom, etc. may be a better deal if you wait for a refurb of the newer machines also.

4. paeza macrumors regular

paeza

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

No one knows this. It's all just guesses. This week? January? Next spring?

6. mmd thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i didnt want to start another thread about when they are going to be released. I was just curious because i was going to buy a used powerbook or ibook from ebay for about 800 but i would rather have a brand new macbook if it will be around that price.

I also was wondering why are the powerbooks and ibooks still so expensive, when i went on ebay i was expecting to see ibooks for about 450 and powerbooks for like 700. I kept seeing used 15" powerbooks for like 1200 or more. Why wouldnt people just spend the extra 250 and get a refurb macbook pro.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Macs have always held their value very well. And there are a good number of people out there who are still actively resisting the change to Intel machines until the rest of the apps go universal...the demand is propping the prices up.

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

simply because they either need the fw800 of the old PB's (but cant afford the new MBP) or they simply prefer PPC.

9. mmd thread starter macrumors newbie

How much do you think the stock macbook that is $1,100 now will go down to when they release the new ones.

10. walleyealx macrumors member

thats the question of the day...

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm at the Apple Store right now and the sales guy here said the Core Duo MacBook Pros will drop $400 from their original price (i.e. a $1999 MBP will be $1699)

12. mmd thread starter macrumors newbie

So when the macbooks get updated the old ones will probably drop like $200?
    I wouldnt mind paying $900 for a brand new macbook:D