Price drops on G5 PMs???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by furrina, Jun 8, 2004.

1. furrina macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2004
    In tha 212
    I've been seeing millions of guesses and now near-confirmations on configs for new powermac G5s -- I'm looking at a 1.8 Dual, and the reason I haven't bought was waiting for new releases around WWDC. I'd be happy with a "low end" as long as it's dual processor,as I do some video editing. What I haven't heard anything about is speculation on pricing. Right now the 1.8 dual is about $3k new (with edu discount about 2,700.)

So my questions are:

Does anyone have any ideas on whether the price on the rev. A 1.8 duals will go down significantly, if so how much?

Any guesses on the price of the the rev B. lowest model dual?

is it possible they'll be more expensive b/c there will be a new "lo end" consisting of single proc. machines?

Will there be any new sort of processor technology -- other than speed -- with the new revisions that will be significantly better than the first (I assume no new form factor) and therefore worth the price of getting a rev. b machine?

BTW, My new 15" pb 1.5 (1 gig ram) is on its way (If it ever leaves CA) it'll hold me for a few more weeks -- maybe I won't even need the G5 for a while! :D I'm hoping I'm as happy with it as everyone else on here is with theirs!
  2. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    The 1.8Ghz G5 PowerMac right now is actually $2,499 not quite $3k however i personally would expect the price of this system to drop by a reasonable amount after the rev. B are anounced shortly, though i could be wrong since i'm pretty new to the Mac world :). I couldn't hazard a guess by how much though.

I'm sure you could pick up a referbished model for quite a bit less and from what i've heard they are still high quality machines :).

3. furrina thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2004
    In tha 212
    True, that's the base price but after adding 9800 pro graphix card (gotta have it) airport card (gotta have it, router's in the other room) and blue tooth module (gotta have it: wireless mousie and kbd :) ) and bigger HD, the price comes to $3,123.00. And that's without more RAM, which will come from elsewhere I imagine. True about the refurb, that's probably the way I'll go. BTW, it kind of sucks that the bluetooth and wireless card aren't built-in...