Price Drops on Old Refurbs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamyoshida, Sep 22, 2006.

1. adamyoshida macrumors regular

I'm in the mood for a new laptop, and I'm down to either a tricked out 17" Dell on a MacBook Pro.

So, here's my question - what kind of a price drop can we expect to see on the Core Duo MacBook Pro's if a Core2Duo comes out on Monday?

Based on the price drops of the Core Duo iMacs after the Core2Duo's come out, would it be fair to guess that it'll be something like $200-$300?

A $1499.99 MacBook Pro? Sound possible?

2. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

A $1500 MBP is unlikely because it intefers with the Black Macbook, so no. At most, maybe the prices will drop down to 1700. But I wouldn't count on it.

3. adamyoshida thread starter macrumors regular

Bah. I'm torn. I love Mac laptops, but the MacBook Pro just seems too expensive, hardware wise, for me to justify the purchase.

Perhaps I'll go with the plain MacBook, instead.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Price breaks do happen. My 15.2 inch PowerBook 1.33 GHz was $1999 retail and $1699 as a refurb. After the 1.5/1.67 series was released, the refurbs dropped to $1499. Unfortunately, you won't see much more than that, if anything else.

5. adamyoshida thread starter macrumors regular

$1499 is the price I've told myself I'll pay, even if it's too high for the hardware (let's face it, you could price out a Core2Duo notebook somewhere else, probably a 17" with 2 Gigs of RAM, for the same price).

6. shawnjooste macrumors newbie

A huge price drop is very unlikely, so if you really want a Mac, you are better of going for the MacBook. Or you just need to commit to the MacBookPro, and justify the expense.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You probably could but you'd be getting less in the long run.

I bought a refurb because Apple was having multiple problems at the time. I avoided that, got a reliable machine, and saved quite a lot over their regular price.

I will probably buy a MacBook Pro the same way. Apple designs good hardware but they really have some cheap assembly techniques over the past few years.

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

Currently the lower MBP config can be had for $1699 refurb, so I think it is likely to drop even further after the bump.