Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I looked for quite awhile on http://www.newegg.com for 1 gig of ram.

I'm still a bit off from being it just yet, but I looked at the prices again and they're all over 100 dollars! I very much remember being able to order 1 gig stick of ram from about 70 to 80.

Has anybody else noticed this too?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, it's been mentioned here in the forums lots of times. There's a supply shortage as PC users are snapping up boatloads of it in order to run Vista. The articles I've seen say that RAM prices will remain high through at least November, and possibly through the holidays.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
WildCowboy said:
There's a supply shortage as PC users are snapping up boatloads of it in order to run Vista. The articles I've seen say that RAM prices will remain high through at least November, and possibly through the holidays.

Memory prices always rise towards the holidays and go down again in January. I very much doubt PC users are snapping up boatloads of it.

If anything I suspect Mac users are buying it in droves because everyone keeps advising to upgrade to 2GB right away :rolleyes:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
reflex said:
Memory prices always rise towards the holidays and go down again in January. I very much doubt PC users are snapping up boatloads of it.

If anything I suspect Mac users are buying it in droves because everyone keeps advising to upgrade to 2GB right away :rolleyes:

It's really a combination of the normal holiday upswing, preparation for RAM-hungry Vista, and a quick shift (particularly by AMD) to DDR2 that are all adding up to uncomfortably high prices for consumers for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.