Price of iLife '05 and iPhoto 5 prints

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stoid, Jan 17, 2005.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm certain that iLife '04 cost $49 and only $29 after the education discount. Meanwhile iLife '05 costs $79 and $59 after the education discount. Why the $30 bump in price?

Secondly, the main reason I'm getting iLife '05 is for the iPhoto updates, and particularly the cheaper digital prints. Will iPhoto '04 be able to take advantage of the iLife '05 halved price?

I was considering getting iLife '05 but I have FCP for video editing, and I don't have a DVD burner or a big interest in recording my own music, so all I really need is iPhoto, and that's simply not worth $60 to me as a cash strapped college student. I would shell out $30 in a heartbeat, but unless I find compelling evidence that makes it worth the investment, Apple simply won't be getting my money.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

Good for you...glad you shared.

Now sit back down.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I appreciate your eloquent response appleretailguy, but perhaps you missed my questions. I'll restate them more concisely and without banter so that the slow-minded do not miss them.

1a. As verification of my sanity, is iLife '05 more expensive than iLife '04?
    1b. If so, why? They are not adding anything more applications to it, and Apple rarely if ever raises the price on a newer version of software.​
    2. Will iPhoto from iLife '04 be able to get the pictures at reduced price, or am I required to update to iLife '05 to get the cheaper prints.

4. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

In regards to 1, yes they have changed the price. I think the reason they changed it is to allow them to drop the price of iWork. Both are now $79. Previously Keynote alone had been $99. Having one priced at $49 and one at $99 is not as easy or balanced as two at $79. I also believe that Apple simply was not getting very much of a profit from the previous price, given the amount of work that goes into the development - the iApps are worth more.

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Okay, I understand the rational of product price simplification, but it's not right on though. The education price for iWork is only $49 while iLife is $59. And while I agree that the iApps as a package are worth the price, unless you have an HD camcorder (virtually no one), a DVD burner (still a small percentage), and more than a passing interest in music (not a whole lot of people), iPhoto is the only thing that got updated, and that's not worth $59.

6. dav macrumors 6502

It seems that with your avatar, you could be getting this software a lot cheaper :rolleyes:

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay....
    1a. Yes, it's more expensive.
    1b. Because they added new features and they felt like increasing the price.
    2. I really, really doubt it, but no one knows yet, do they?

P.S. I guess us slow minded people tend to glaze over fairly obvious questions.

8. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

I figure iWork has a cheaper education discount than iLife because students tend to need a word processor more than say a music production app. And iPhoto is not the "only thing that got updated", ALL of the apps got updated. Just because all you use is iPhoto it doesn't mean the other apps recieved no upgrade. I use Final Cut Express other than iMovie, but other than that I use every iApp on at least a biweekly basis. Plus the whole point of iLife is it's integration - there might be someone out there who only uses iMovie, but without using iPhoto it loses a lot of its function. Besides, although you point out valid points (I'm certainly not about to run out and buy a $3500 US high-def camcorder, although god I'd love to), iLife '05 is designed to last the whole year. Being the early adopters they are, Apple have simply embraced something new, and now it's up for the consumer (and the product prices) to catch up. By December 2005, I'd bet high def camcorders are a lot more widely used than they are now. Similiarly, what if you pick up an external DVD burner down the road (which iDVD now supports)? You'll want to have iDVD. And finally, Garageband has its uses beyond musicians - I've used it for many a movie soundtrack.
    And, believe it or not I would pay $60 JUST for iPhoto 5. I feel the improvement has been that good - it finally looks to be on par with iTunes.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well keep in mind, some might question iLife having an educational discount at all. iWorks on the other hand has very clear educational benefits.