Price of Nintendo Wii games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Axegrinder, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

Just been looking on uk Amazon site and play.com, and both these sites have games for the Nintendo Wii at £49.99! :eek:

I wasn't aware the price of games had been announced (though I admit I don't keep up with the news as often as most gamers).

Fifty notes seems rather steep to me for a system that may only cost £150! I was under the impression that as it wasn't as powerful as the X360 and PS3, development costs would be lower resulting in lower priced games. This has made me think again about purchasing the console. I didn't buy the X360 (and won't be buying the PS3) because the price of games is just too damn expensive. I hoped Wii would be cheaper.

Are these prices final?

2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

First-party Gamecube games have launched at $50US (£27). XBox 360 and PS3 games are supposed to be $60US (£32). This is just for us Americans though.

However, game stores usually charge a huge amount for up-and-coming releases because they want to be safe. If the game comes out for more than that, they're stuck with people saying they paid full price for it already.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No, no and a final no :p

Those prices are pure speculation at the moment.

In the retail stores here, they are thinking that €54.99 euro will be the price range. Which means we can expect a £34.99 RRP in the UK - with final online retailers such as play selling them at £29.99 as they always undercut the highstreet....

Dont panic. Those prices are just misleading you.

Worst case scenario will be RRP £39.99 high street - with online retailers between £29.99-34.99 ....... But £34.99 seems to be general consensus. we will find out in a weeks time :)

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I'm pretty sure that in an interview, someone at Nintendo (was it Iwata himself?) said they couldn't imagine Wii games selling for more than USD $50, but of course even that's speculation. We won't know until some are actually selling.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

futureshop up here in Canada has them for 69.99 which is the same as the PS3 and 360 games...

it would make sense, sell the system dirt cheap but keep the games around everyone elses price and rake in the profits

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

No, not at all. One of its aims are to bring in non-gamers, 69.99 games will not do that.

7. GreatOne08 macrumors member

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah you are probably right, although personally, i can't see non-gamers buying a Wii just cuz it looks cool or the games are cheap. Granted 360/PS3 have a harder time because they are fairly significant investments. I can see parents playing Wii if their kids have it and dad gets into Golf or racing or shooting games or whatever, or a girlfriend/boyfriend getting into it after their partner gets it.
    But I just can't see some 30 year old guy/girl buying one for themselves as a non-gamer unless it gets wicked word-of-mouth advertising or Nintendo goes balls out to push it to non-gamers (which could alieninate hardcore gamers).

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm sure Iwata or someone said that first party game prices will remain the same. they have no reason to hike up the prices like the 360 and the usual Sony Style inflation. I mean £50 for a 360 game in shops, up from £35. PS3 are expected the same. OUCH. ******* ouch.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

how the hell can you people afford to live in the UK? damn you must make a bucket load of cash or be flat broke all the time. I was watching a show on Food TV and they were at some resturant in London and the CHEAP MEAL was £10! for soup and a sandwich with a salad. This wasnt some fancy place. Thats like $25 bucks here in canada, add a drink or two and a tip and its like a $40 lunch for a regular meal for one person at a pub...damn

or on iTunes, Boston by Boston is £7! thats like 16 bucks, i saw it for 7.99 yesterday at Best Buy.

No wonder the UK population around here is hating in the PS3 so bad, $1G for a gaming system? ouch

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats what people think all over..not just in the UK..its even more overprice in other places in the EU..and I though 600 was bad!

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think wages balance it out. I remember hearing about "how to earn $30k making games", which is just around £16k. the basic pay for a receptionist round here :D and houses too. Ours is £500k which is average for a large family house, how much house could you guys get for $932k? probably a farm and a bit, a HDTV for each room, the whole range of Dodge cars and perhaps a few Faberge eggs for desert.

13. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Not gonna happen. I don't think they will be over 50.00 american dollars. That is just a hunch, but who's gonna pay more than that for Wii sports or Warioware? (I probably would, but I'm a big nintendo fan.)

14. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Yeah I'm of that opinion too. I just can't see a non-gamer picking it up. I just can't see it in a DS like situation of older gamers/non gamers actually buying a system for themselves.

15. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I've ordered three games from EB Games and two were $49 and one was $59. I'm sure that EB Games is just speculating though, I could end up getting charged less when the games actually ship.

Daniel.

EDIT: USD!